There is / there are

Discuss noun clauses, adjective clauses, & adverb clauses. See how and when nouns, adjectives, & adverbs are used.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

There is / there are

Post by James Trotta » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 am

This is a thread for describing an awesome painting, Vincent's Bedroom at Arles, or for asking questions about the class featuring that painting. The class is at http://www.eslgo.com/classes/beginner/bedroom.php

Eagermom

Re: There is / there are

Post by Eagermom » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:55 pm

Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most talented artists I came across. My favorite painting by him is the Starry Night. There are many beautiful painting by him. I wish there was a way I could have them all. Is there a way I could get them. If there is tell me please!

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:10 pm

Very good to hear from you Eagermon.

Correct use of there are so good job! I think you can benefit from looking at the use of present perfect (I have come across). I also deleted an article (the Starry Night) and added a plural -s (paintings). Hope that helps!
Eagermom wrote:Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most talented artists I have came across. My favorite painting by him is Starry Night. There are many beautiful paintings by him. I wish there was a way I could have them all. Is there a way I could get them? If there is tell me please!

MonikaMont

Post by MonikaMont » Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:21 am

There are many artists I admire. Vincent Van Gogh is one off them. Each off his painting is very unique. The painting of his bedroom is a mystery to me. I wonder what inspired him to painte it.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Thanks for the post. Excellent work but we do need the plural -s (each of his paintings).
MonikaMont wrote:There are many artists I admire. Vincent Van Gogh is one off them. Each of his paintings is very unique. The painting of his bedroom is a mystery to me. I wonder what inspired him to paint it.

Aziz

Post by Aziz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:09 am

There are many famous artists in the world but Vincent Van Gogh is one of the famous artists. He has painted lots of pictures which most people liked his work. Moreover, he has decorated his bedroom by his pictures which those pictures were painted by him.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 am

Thanks Aziz. You got there are correct. A few corrections below.
Aziz wrote:There are many famous artists in the world but Vincent Van Gogh is one of the famous artists. He has painted lots of pictures which most people liked his work. Moreover, he has decorated his bedroom by his pictures which those pictures were painted by him.
There are many famous artists in the world but Vincent Van Gogh is one of the most famous artists. He has painted lots of pictures which most people liked. Moreover, he decorated his bedroom with pictures which were painted by him.

Pimen

Post by Pimen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:46 pm

I like the paints by Vince Van Gogh. He is such an amazing artist.
There are many beautiful paints by him.
There is one in particular that i love it, the name is Irises.
I like the colors in that paint, the light, well everything!

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:42 pm

Hey Pimen. I agree that Van Gogh is really great. I went to the Van Gogh museum in Amsterdam and it was amazing.
Pimen wrote:I like the paints by Vince Van Gogh. He is such an amazing artist.
There are many beautiful paints by him.
There is one in particular that i love it, the name is Irises.
I like the colors in that paint, the light, well everything!
A few corrections for you (good use of there is / there are):

I like paintings by Vince Van Gogh. He is such an amazing artist. There are many beautiful paintings by him. There is one in particular that i love, the name is Irises. I like the colors in that painting, the light, well everything.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:34 am

I got a question about when to use a and when to use the.

We can say a bed or the bed depending on the context. If everyone knows which bed we're talking about, use the.

There is a bed in the room. The bed is small.

ifeveif

Post by ifeveif » Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:03 pm

There is a beautiful picture.I heard a lot about his fame ,but I never interest in the art before.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:50 pm

:D
ifeveif wrote:There is a beautiful picture.I heard a lot about his fame ,but I never interest in the art before.
If you're talking about Vincent's Bedroom at Arles, we'll say: This is a beautiful picture.

If you're talking about some other picture, like one on the wall in the bedroom, then we can say: There is a beautiful picture (on the wall).

I heard a lot about his fame, but I was never interested in his art before.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Got a question from a student today I wanted to share.
During the course of study i came across some certain sentences and i want to know their uses.(1)there is alot of foreigners & there are alot of foreigners(2)what is the difference between was and were, there is, there are and there were?
In this case there are a lot of foreigners is correct. The plural foreigners gets are. There is a foreigner would be correct (if there were only one foreigner).

Same idea with was / were. Just past instead of present. There was a foreigner. There were a lot of foreigners.

latoucha

Post by latoucha » Thu May 19, 2016 5:20 am

hi i'm latoucha, my question is, in the questions test, it says: there are a lot of pictures, why should we put are rather is beside the fact that the next word after the verb is in the singular?

Bibis90

Post by Bibis90 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:50 am

There are many artist that have not been recognize. But the few artists that I am more familiar with are Frida kahlo , Picasso and frida's husband Diego Rivera. Frida is one of the few or most recognize female artist in the world. Many of her painting were recently view and recognize . During her period I don't believe she was really recognize by her work but by her husband's success. She really portrait her self and her suffering from the bus accident she had when she was little thru her paintings. She was very influence by her culture and many of her paintings show the vibrant colors and symbols of Mexico.

Diego Rivera was also a great Mexian artist he was fascinated by cubism and he also studied renaissance art. Just like Frida he wanted to show his roots thru his paintings. There are many paintings from him where he shows the typical life of Mexican people. He also felt that his painting could help educate people about their history. There is a painting of his called "The Aztec World, fresco " where he shows the conquest of the Spanish over the indigenous people.

There are thousands of paintings and sculptures done by the well know Picasso, an extremely talented Spaniar who was able to developed so many painting styles.