There is / there are

Discuss noun clauses, adjective clauses, & adverb clauses. See how and when nouns, adjectives, & adverbs are used.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: There is / there are

Post by James Trotta » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:24 am

Good question :D
latoucha wrote:
Thu May 19, 2016 5:20 am
hi i'm latoucha, my question is, in the questions test, it says: there are a lot of pictures, why should we put are rather is beside the fact that the next word after the verb is in the singular?
The verb has to agree with "pictures" which is plural. That is why we say there are a lot of pictures.

gandaka
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:54 pm

Re: There is / there are

Post by gandaka » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 pm

The painting is well-detailed. There are many stuff in the small bedroom. There are chairs. There is also a table. And there are bunch of frames hanging on the wall. You can see the room is old but pretty and organized. It is sure nice to sleep in a bedroom that is clean and not smelly.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: There is / there are

Post by James Trotta » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:35 pm

I also like bedrooms that are not smelly :D
gandaka wrote:
Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:08 pm
The painting is well-detailed. There are many stuff in the small bedroom. There are chairs. There is also a table. And there are bunch of frames hanging on the wall. You can see the room is old but pretty and organized. It is sure nice to sleep in a bedroom that is clean and not smelly.
The painting is well-detailed. :D
There are many stuff in the small bedroom. :arrow: Stuff is not counted: There is lots of stuff...
There are chairs. :D
There is also a table. :D
And there are bunch of frames hanging on the wall. :arrow: There are a bunch of frames...
You can see the room is old but pretty and organized. :D
It is sure nice to sleep in a bedroom that is clean and not smelly. :D

Hannylove
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:26 pm

There is / there are

Post by Hannylove » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 pm

There are many picture frame in the house but Vincent Van Gogh is a special one. In his painting, there is one table in the house. There are two chairs. There is a bed. There is one window. there are two hangers and there are four pictures in the house.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: There is / there are

Post by James Trotta » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Hey there :D
Hannylove wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:34 pm
There are many picture frame in the house but Vincent Van Gogh is a special one. In his painting, there is one table in the house. There are two chairs. There is a bed. There is one window. there are two hangers and there are four pictures in the house.
There are many picture frames (I would probably say "framed pictures") in the house but Vincent Van Gogh is a special one. In his painting, there is one table in the house. There are two chairs. There is a bed. There is one window. there are two hangers and there are four pictures in the house.

Nice work :D

yoly
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 10:09 am

Re: There is / there are

Post by yoly » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 am

there is only one window between the picture frame and the mirror, i like the colors of the walls there are colorful and beautiful matching his space. there is only one bed, two chairs one small table where he has some personal articles. are there pictures on the walls his own painting? i was wonder there are portraits with a landscape around his neighborhood. I like Vincent van goth an original artist with a great technics.

James Trotta
Site Admin
Posts: 1140
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:08 am
Location: South Korea
Contact:

Re: There is / there are

Post by James Trotta » Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:33 pm

yoly wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:51 am
there is only one window between the picture frame and the mirror, i like the colors of the walls there are colorful and beautiful matching his space. there is only one bed, two chairs one small table where he has some personal articles. are there pictures on the walls his own painting? i was wonder there are portraits with a landscape around his neighborhood. I like Vincent van goth an original artist with a great technics.
there is only one window between the picture frame and the mirror :D
I like the colors of the walls. :D
There are colorful and beautiful paintings? matching his space.
There is only one bed, two chairs, and one small table where he has some personal articles.
are there pictures on the walls his own painting? :arrow: Are the pictures on the walls his own paintings?
i was wonder there are portraits with a landscape around his neighborhood. :arrow: I was wondering if the landscape paintings were from his neighborhood :?: (sorry, not sure I caught your meaning here)
I like Vincent van goth because he is an original artist with great technique.

Post Reply