ODB 6 Instructions

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their sixth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

What kind of culture materials do you enjoy using the most in the classroom?

source
20%
target
60%
international target
20%

Total votes: 5

ICCwonhee

Re: ODB 6 Instructions

Post by ICCwonhee » Wed May 18, 2011 9:58 am

ICC Seunghyun wrote:I think the international target culture among three kinds of EIL culture materials is suit for my elementary students because I think learning English as a second language is to have them extensive eyes to see and help to get new experience easily. There are two examples of materials that I would like to prepare for lessons. One is about “great wall “ in china because I have been there. I could convey my feeling to students vividly. The other one is about “Chinese history”. In historical, our dynasty was related to china in many parts for a long time. so if I would describe Chinese culture , students also would learn Korean history, too. I could face one problem in the class. I think students might be confused about the words because there are three different name for one, for example ‘great wall’,’wan li zhangcheng ,’만리장성’ .
I do not have any intetion of giving counterview. But sometimes, international target culture could not be easy for elementary students. and as you mention, students might be confused and misinterpret about the words and meaning. So I choose Source Culture for young students^^.

ICCwonhee

Re: ODB 6 Instructions

Post by ICCwonhee » Thu May 19, 2011 6:35 am

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:In my case ,If I teach , I 'd like to the target language as English to high school students. The reaseon why I tageted on the high school students is that they are interasted on the westen culture such as American drama, pop-song,movies etc. Plus, That materials are easy to get and to be acceltable from leaners.
Nomally,many korean students are familiar with that culture . Especially pop-songs and movies are very suitable for them. Following the pop-songs could help leaners to understand target culture and improving pronuncuation etc. Also the movies are another material . I think , Movies are the most attractive material for leaners , because It could get leaner's attention easily and help to use the sentences that showed the movies in real world.
On the other hands, some of leaners could know already the naterial that teachers prepare, so that coudl be a problem .
So teacheds are tring to prepare the material carefully to avoid that .

I was surprised a bit at you mention which "leaners could know already the material which teachers prepare then, teacher should prepare the material carefully to avoid that" Because, I have used various American drama, movie, and pop-song to study english myself too. That is verisimilar situation in the class.