ODB 6 Instructions

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their sixth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

What kind of culture materials do you enjoy using the most in the classroom?

source
20%
target
60%
international target
20%

Total votes: 5

ICC eunjeong

Re: ODB 6 Instructions

Post by ICC eunjeong » Wed May 11, 2011 11:18 am

ICCseonhee wrote:Although i'm not a teacher, i'm interested in younger learners learning. If i teach them in EFL classroom, i'd like to implement an International Target Culture Materials. Because it helps to widen the students' interests and imagination, thus students can get global perception and awareness. Especially due to younger learners are relatively more open-minded rather than older learners, ITCM will work more effectively, in my opinion.
In that process students gradually learn about other culture and know the differences and similarities between their own cultures and others, finally they'll be motivated to communicate/interact with poeple from different culture. So they'll be inspired to learn English as an international language. To suit an international target culture material in my classroom, i'd like to use audio-video materials such as movies, broadcasts and songs because those things reflect every-life, present issues and spirits of people. So students can accept other culture naturally or involuntarily, whereas teacher can face frustration or dilemma in the classroom when they need more information about other culture what they don't know well. Because teacher have to bring many kinds of cultures into the scope of teaching.
I totally agree with you. Although my son who is seven years old is not an elementary student, he is interested in learning English very much. Because he's listened to English songs, watched English animations, read English books since he was baby. Younger learners can accept other cultures faster and easier as a sponge than older learners. Thus, as you mentioned, they will develop their English skills very fast if teacher provides various materials of cultures to them.

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Wed May 11, 2011 11:38 am

ICC steve wrote:I'd like to choose source culture first. I teach high school students with intermediate levels. Most students don't have enough motivation to keep their interest in English. As a result, I think that it's better to start with source culture followed by target culture and international target culture. The biggest reason I select source culture is that they are so familiar with the culture. Another reason is that it can give them some challenge to deal with it in English. For example, if they are given the task to introduce something familiar(source culture) in English to an imaginary foreigner, it will get them to be more interested in English. They will have to find out proper expressions to explain the culture. It will increase a sense of challenge and achievement. However, the problem would be whether they have enough proficiency to complete such tasks. If so, the teacher can help them, providing a sample demonstration.

You're right. Most of all, teachers should make students be interested in learning English. For that, teachers should choose familiar materials to students. If students Know well about our cultures and they can explain them to foreiners in English perfectly, it couldn't be better.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Thu May 12, 2011 2:46 am

ICC eunjeong wrote:I’d like to choose target culture for elementary students. It is hard to go to the inner circle countries and have an experience of their cultures directly, but it is not hard to learn about them and have an indirect experience in the classroom. I think students can be interested in English more and also get intrinsic motivations while they have indirect experiences from learning of target culture. I’d like to mention about two examples of target culture materials: Halloween party and garage sales. In Halloween day, I can have a party with my students in the classroom. Students will be all in Halloween costumes or take masks such as a witch, a Frankenstein, a ghost, etc. And then they will get some candies and chocolates while they go around the classroom and shout ‘Trick or treat’. Students will be able to understand about Halloween day in a way and enjoy the foreign culture. In addition, I can open the garage sale in the classroom. Students will bring their things that they don’t use them any more. They will sell their own things and buy other things that others bring. From this experience, they will be able to feel pleasure of sharing each other and also learn about one of good cultures in the world.

Little kids will absolutely love the lesson about Halloween. Experiencing the target culture directly helps learning the target language a lot. The more important thing in learning is they can have fun!

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Thu May 12, 2011 2:50 am

ICC steve wrote:I'd like to choose source culture first. I teach high school students with intermediate levels. Most students don't have enough motivation to keep their interest in English. As a result, I think that it's better to start with source culture followed by target culture and international target culture. The biggest reason I select source culture is that they are so familiar with the culture. Another reason is that it can give them some challenge to deal with it in English. For example, if they are given the task to introduce something familiar(source culture) in English to an imaginary foreigner, it will get them to be more interested in English. They will have to find out proper expressions to explain the culture. It will increase a sense of challenge and achievement. However, the problem would be whether they have enough proficiency to complete such tasks. If so, the teacher can help them, providing a sample demonstration.

Whatever we teach, the biggest worry is how to motivate our students. I want to let them know that culture is a part of learning English. Teaching source culture in English could sound sound to them at first, but as they learn cultural things, they can accept that culture and language are interrelated.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Thu May 12, 2011 3:02 am

If I am given a chance to teach culture in my class, I would choose 'international target culture.' I've taught highschool students for a long time. Most of them are already familiar with some of cultural aspects in English-speaking countries. They watch a lot of American TV shows and movies. If I introduce culture of other countries such Brazil, Spain, Mexico, and Italy, I think they would become very interested. That's because international target culture is really new and thus make them feel amazed. For example, I have talked about Mexico, its language, its religion, and its location during the World Cup. They hardly knew about the country. If I taught such things in English, they would be able to access to the international world and learn English as well. But I have a possible problem. I am worried that my information might be wrong because it's hard for me to experience international culture. I shuould be very careful.

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Thu May 12, 2011 3:19 pm

[quote="ICC steve"]I'd like to choose source culture first. I teach high school students with intermediate levels. Most students don't have enough motivation to keep their interest in English. As a result, I think that it's better to start with source culture followed by target culture and international target culture. The biggest reason I select source culture is that they are so familiar with the culture. Another reason is that it can give them some challenge to deal with it in English. For example, if they are given the task to introduce something familiar(source culture) in English to an imaginary foreigner, it will get them to be more interested in English. They will have to find out proper expressions to explain the culture. It will increase a sense of challenge and achievement. However, the problem would be whether they have enough proficiency to complete such tasks. If so, the teacher can help them, providing a sample demonstration.[/qu

one of reason why i keep studying is that i want to explain our culture to foreigner.it's a lot harder than learning their culture. but explaining our culture , like source culture , is motivated students a lot. ^^

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Thu May 12, 2011 3:23 pm

ICC Jisu wrote:If I am given a chance to teach culture in my class, I would choose 'international target culture.' I've taught highschool students for a long time. Most of them are already familiar with some of cultural aspects in English-speaking countries. They watch a lot of American TV shows and movies. If I introduce culture of other countries such Brazil, Spain, Mexico, and Italy, I think they would become very interested. That's because international target culture is really new and thus make them feel amazed. For example, I have talked about Mexico, its language, its religion, and its location during the World Cup. They hardly knew about the country. If I taught such things in English, they would be able to access to the international world and learn English as well. But I have a possible problem. I am worried that my information might be wrong because it's hard for me to experience international culture. I shuould be very careful.
i think so, if a teacher decides to teach "international target culture " , lots of research sould be followed. but if you are done one time, it could be very useful..^^

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Thu May 12, 2011 3:26 pm

ICC eunjeong wrote:I’d like to choose target culture for elementary students. It is hard to go to the inner circle countries and have an experience of their cultures directly, but it is not hard to learn about them and have an indirect experience in the classroom. I think students can be interested in English more and also get intrinsic motivations while they have indirect experiences from learning of target culture. I’d like to mention about two examples of target culture materials: Halloween party and garage sales. In Halloween day, I can have a party with my students in the classroom. Students will be all in Halloween costumes or take masks such as a witch, a Frankenstein, a ghost, etc. And then they will get some candies and chocolates while they go around the classroom and shout ‘Trick or treat’. Students will be able to understand about Halloween day in a way and enjoy the foreign culture. In addition, I can open the garage sale in the classroom. Students will bring their things that they don’t use them any more. They will sell their own things and buy other things that others bring. From this experience, they will be able to feel pleasure of sharing each other and also learn about one of good cultures in the world.
why do children say "trick or treat " on holloween day? if anyone know, tell me^^

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Fri May 13, 2011 10:39 am

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:In my case ,If I teach , I 'd like to the target language as English to high school students. The reaseon why I tageted on the high school students is that they are interasted on the westen culture such as American drama, pop-song,movies etc. Plus, That materials are easy to get and to be acceltable from leaners.
Nomally,many korean students are familiar with that culture . Especially pop-songs and movies are very suitable for them. Following the pop-songs could help leaners to understand target culture and improving pronuncuation etc. Also the movies are another material . I think , Movies are the most attractive material for leaners , because It could get leaner's attention easily and help to use the sentences that showed the movies in real world.
On the other hands, some of leaners could know already the naterial that teachers prepare, so that coudl be a problem .
So teacheds are tring to prepare the material carefully to avoid that .
Your method seems good. I want to hear the your lessons. Have a good weekend.

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Fri May 13, 2011 10:42 am

This approach seems to be quite detailed and useful because of you are high school teacher.

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 pm

ICC Seunghyun wrote:
why do children say "trick or treat " on holloween day? if anyone know, tell me^^

Children visit people’s houses at Halloween (= October 31st) and threaten to play tricks on people who do not give them sweets. They shout ‘Trick or treat, trick or treat, give me something good to eat', and then adults give some candies, chocolates, and cookies to children.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Sun May 15, 2011 3:03 pm

ICC Jisu wrote:If I am given a chance to teach culture in my class, I would choose 'international target culture.' I've taught highschool students for a long time. Most of them are already familiar with some of cultural aspects in English-speaking countries. They watch a lot of American TV shows and movies. If I introduce culture of other countries such Brazil, Spain, Mexico, and Italy, I think they would become very interested. That's because international target culture is really new and thus make them feel amazed. For example, I have talked about Mexico, its language, its religion, and its location during the World Cup. They hardly knew about the country. If I taught such things in English, they would be able to access to the international world and learn English as well. But I have a possible problem. I am worried that my information might be wrong because it's hard for me to experience international culture. I shuould be very careful.
I had a terrible experience about wrong information. So, teachers don't give incollect information to students any case.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Sun May 15, 2011 3:30 pm

If I teach some students, I would like to the target language as English to middle school students. In my case, when I teach to my son, he interested in others cultures by pop-songs and newspapers. As he read newspapers, he could know various culture's customs, take an interest in learn English and he could have indirect experiences from it. Pop-songs are also good materials to learn the target culture. It could help he improves pronunciation and easy to approach that culture.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Sun May 15, 2011 3:36 pm

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:In my case ,If I teach , I 'd like to the target language as English to high school students. The reaseon why I tageted on the high school students is that they are interasted on the westen culture such as American drama, pop-song,movies etc. Plus, That materials are easy to get and to be acceltable from leaners.
Nomally,many korean students are familiar with that culture . Especially pop-songs and movies are very suitable for them. Following the pop-songs could help leaners to understand target culture and improving pronuncuation etc. Also the movies are another material . I think , Movies are the most attractive material for leaners , because It could get leaner's attention easily and help to use the sentences that showed the movies in real world.
On the other hands, some of leaners could know already the naterial that teachers prepare, so that coudl be a problem .
So teacheds are tring to prepare the material carefully to avoid that .
I agree with you. When i learn english, movies are totally useful to learn other cultures.

ICCwonhee

Post by ICCwonhee » Wed May 18, 2011 9:46 am

Aa Jason mentioned, I am not a language teacher. But I am going to be a kind of kindergarten teacher in near future. So I'd love to write this assignment as a kindergarten teacher. I think Source Culture is best suit for kindergarten student because it could be easier than Target or International Cultures. For example English as a second language must be hard to be learned for kindergarten students. So, the contents and materials should be as easy and familiar as possible for them. And as kindergarten teachers what they bring to class should be easy to find and show, so that students could understand easily what teacher teach them. Sometimes, these materials might be so normal. Then students get less interesting in lesson. But to motivate kindergarten student, that is enough. Moreover these class could make teacher concentrate their pronunciation or some skill which they have problem as a korean english teachers.