ODB 7 Instructions (Moran's Cultural Knowings)

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their seventh homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Which of Moran's Cultural Knowings do you prefer to focus on?

Knowing About
13%
Knowing How
50%
Knowing Why
38%
Knowing Oneself
No votes

Total votes: 8

ICCdayoung

Re: ODB 7 Instructions (Moran's Cultural Knowings)

Post by ICCdayoung » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:16 am

ICC eunjeong wrote:Among Moran’s Cultural Knowings, I would like to talk about ‘Knowing why’ and ‘Knowing oneself’. In ‘Knowing why’ stage, teachers will explain why the culture has such a custom, and then students will interpret the aspects of culture by discussing or thinking another culture’s value or characteristics through the questions such as ‘why do people in NA shake hands?’, or ‘why should we maintain eye contact when we shake hands?’. From this, students can understand the culture more familiarly. After understanding the culture, students can respond to the aspects of culture by finding the differences between another culture and their own culture in ‘Knowing oneself’ stage through the questions such as ‘Which one do you like handshaking or bowing to greet people?’, or ‘How do you feel about shaking hands?’. Like this, this stage allows students to reflect their own culture. I am sure that students can develop their intercultural competences from this process.

I agree to your opinion that teacher will explaing why the culture has such a custon in knowing why stage. So, what's it difference culture between shaking hands and greet people?

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:24 am

ICC kyoung a wrote:I think Moran's Cultural Knowings Framework will be very useful and helpful learners who may be interested in learning foreign language. I am interested
Knowing About and Knowing Why. Knowing Why means one can deeply understand the background of the target culture. When someone encounter korea culture, he or she could understand easily if you have known the reason behind that culture. Now, I am going to talk about Korean's Jung. What is Jung? Well, there is no one exact word that describe or translate Jung in English. It is somewhat like affection and colseness . Also, It is somewhat like bad affection. That means "because of Jung". Jung is a representative relationship in korea.The more you hate someone, the more jung you build.The more you love someone, the more jung you build.If someone doesn't understand about Jung, he or she could feel nagging and uncomfortable. On the other hand , if someone understand about Jung, he or she thinks that Korean are warm-hearted and lots of affection.

You're right. It is very difficult to define one word. How can we teach 'Korean Jung' to foreigners? Can they understand 'Jung' if we share 'Chocopie'?^^

ICC Seunghyun

Post by ICC Seunghyun » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:25 am

In Moran’s culture knowing, I would mention knowing why and knowing oneself. Knowing why is looking for culture’s background. It helps to understand culture’s difference, to find the way out from culture shock. I heard Chinese men walk around the road without their t-shirts. I thought it seemed not to care of other people. If I know why they do that, it could help to understand them more. You could know about the knowing how.
If you visit a country, you discover the beautiful recipe. You would want to know how to cook it. I think you could learn what the process is and how to do them through practice.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:29 am

ICCwonhee wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:When teaching and learning culture, the eventual goal should be 'Knowing Why.' Knowing Why means one can deeply understand the background of the target culture. When you encounter foreign culture, you can minimize cultural shock if you have known the reason behind that culture. On the other hand, Knowing About is knowledge about Bic C. Knowing only the surface of the target culture is not really knowing that culture. I know about Japanese personal space, such as in restaurants and coffee shops. But without knowing why, I just felt they were strange people and their culture is weird. But after knowing why(the Japanese neither want to disturb others nor be disturbed by others), I could understand other aspects of Japanese individualism and their respect for privacy. In teaching culture, both knowing about and knowing why should be taught together to avoid the stereotypes and prejudices.
You are right but why did you choose Knowing About? as you mentioned knowledge about is like Bic C. I think as we practice and learn How, we could understand target culture more deely.

You are right. I just wanted to contrast those two because I would like to focus on 'Knowing Why' and understanding the rooted perception of the target culture.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:37 am

ICC steve wrote:
ICC Jisu wrote:When teaching and learning culture, the eventual goal should be 'Knowing Why.' Knowing Why means one can deeply understand the background of the target culture. When you encounter foreign culture, you can minimize cultural shock if you have known the reason behind that culture. On the other hand, Knowing About is knowledge about Bic C. Knowing only the surface of the target culture is not really knowing that culture. I know about Japanese personal space, such as in restaurants and coffee shops. But without knowing why, I just felt they were strange people and their culture is weird. But after knowing why(the Japanese neither want to disturb others nor be disturbed by others), I could understand other aspects of Japanese individualism and their respect for privacy. In teaching culture, both knowing about and knowing why should be taught together to avoid the stereotypes and prejudices.

I like what you said about avoiding the stereotypes. One of the most interesting things in learning other languge is to find what types of prejudices we have towards the language speakers and correct them.
Yes, that's the same with me. I always say that not all Americans are fat, not all Americans like hamburgers, and not all British are gentlemen.

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:05 am

ICCdayoung wrote:
ICC eunjeong wrote:Among Moran’s Cultural Knowings, I would like to talk about ‘Knowing why’ and ‘Knowing oneself’. In ‘Knowing why’ stage, teachers will explain why the culture has such a custom, and then students will interpret the aspects of culture by discussing or thinking another culture’s value or characteristics through the questions such as ‘why do people in NA shake hands?’, or ‘why should we maintain eye contact when we shake hands?’. From this, students can understand the culture more familiarly. After understanding the culture, students can respond to the aspects of culture by finding the differences between another culture and their own culture in ‘Knowing oneself’ stage through the questions such as ‘Which one do you like handshaking or bowing to greet people?’, or ‘How do you feel about shaking hands?’. Like this, this stage allows students to reflect their own culture. I am sure that students can develop their intercultural competences from this process.

I agree to your opinion that teacher will explaing why the culture has such a custon in knowing why stage. So, what's it difference culture between shaking hands and greet people?

Tere are some kinds of greeting such as shake hands, bow, salus, hug, kiss, say 'hello', and so on. I think it depends on an age, a job, a country's culture, etc. As you know, some people shake hands after they signed a contract. young people bow when they meet older people, soldiers usually salus, and Franch people kiss on cheeks (It is called 'bisous'.) to greet.

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:15 am

ICCdayoung wrote:According to Moran, cutural knowings are divide framework in four sections. I think that knowing how and knowing about is instrumental to learn other language. Knowing how's example is we should say 'Hi' when greet others in the us. Knowing about's example is there are a few way to say 'Hi' in English, good moring, have a nice day, see you soon etc... So, When you say sentence you need to know how to correctly the language. Other example is 'Pardon?' when you do not understand other word and you use to ask again this sentence. Other sentences include the same meaning is 'I beg your pardon?', 'Excuse me?', 'Pardon me?' etc... Thus, it's important to know the meaning to understand language a variety of other language representations.
I agree with you. It is important that teacher should give correct informations to student about the target culture. After that, students can be interested in it and want to learn about 'Knowing how' and 'Knowing why'.

ICC_MyungYeon

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:48 pm

Moran's Cultural knowing framework is expained four caregories for culture class. All categories help leaners to understand effiently and easilly. Expecially , i'd like to take 2 categories such as " knowing how", " knowing about". "Knowing how" should provide the right anwser. It means that leaners could have the exactly right cultural thinng refer to the answer.So leaners could try the experience without mistakes. On the other hands," knowing about" should be a process to get the answer. It means that leaners could follow the effient & easy process which teacher give.
For example, In ICC class, teacher gave us how to shake hands in north america, I learned how to shake in polite way by teachers' expaination as a knowing about. On the other hands, the standrard of hand shake could be applied on my real life , once I meet foreigner.

ICC_MyungYeon

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:54 pm

ICC kyoung a wrote:I think Moran's Cultural Knowings Framework will be very useful and helpful learners who may be interested in learning foreign language. I am interested
Knowing About and Knowing Why. Knowing Why means one can deeply understand the background of the target culture. When someone encounter korea culture, he or she could understand easily if you have known the reason behind that culture. Now, I am going to talk about Korean's Jung. What is Jung? Well, there is no one exact word that describe or translate Jung in English. It is somewhat like affection and colseness . Also, It is somewhat like bad affection. That means "because of Jung". Jung is a representative relationship in korea.The more you hate someone, the more jung you build.The more you love someone, the more jung you build.If someone doesn't understand about Jung, he or she could feel nagging and uncomfortable. On the other hand , if someone understand about Jung, he or she thinks that Korean are warm-hearted and lots of affection.
I totally agree with you. Knowing why makes people understand the culture deeply. In your example,how could expain "Jung (ì •) " in detail? should we take it in "knowing how"?

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 am

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:
I totally agree with you. Knowing why makes people understand the culture deeply. In your example,how could expain "Jung (ì •) " in detail? should we take it in "knowing how"?
Steave metioned last ODB 4. There are a good example about Jung. It could be Jeong that we help each other finish this program successfully.^^*

ICCseonhee

Post by ICCseonhee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:38 am

ICC Jisu wrote:
ICCseonhee wrote:Moran's cultural knowings framework is an approach for teaching culture with the process of cultural experience in language class. Then it develops students' intercultural competence. In my opinion, the distinct stages may be organized by students' different experience. So teacher needs to select and structure content and activities. Among them I'd like to draw `Knowing how' and 'Knowing about' in detail. First of all, `Knowing how'- it requires cultural behaviors. Through participation students can practice and develop skills. And then students can gain confidence by the experience. In learning process of 'Knowing how', teacher's role is a questioner and student's role is a explorer. By contrast, in stage of 'Knowing about' teacher plays a main role to describe cultural information. Students can gather knowledge or ideas about source culture, target culture and international target culture through teacher.

I like what you said, a questioner and an explorer. What do you mean by these two roles specifically?
I think teacher need to be an assistant(sherpa) not a director to make students to absorb cultural knowings by themselves.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:33 am

ICCseonhee wrote:Moran's cultural knowings framework is an approach for teaching culture with the process of cultural experience in language class. Then it develops students' intercultural competence. In my opinion, the distinct stages may be organized by students' different experience. So teacher needs to select and structure content and activities. Among them I'd like to draw `Knowing how' and 'Knowing about' in detail. First of all, `Knowing how'- it requires cultural behaviors. Through participation students can practice and develop skills. And then students can gain confidence by the experience. In learning process of 'Knowing how', teacher's role is a questioner and student's role is a explorer. By contrast, in stage of 'Knowing about' teacher plays a main role to describe cultural information. Students can gather knowledge or ideas about source culture, target culture and international target culture through teacher.
I thoroughly enjoyed my time in your tipping culture. Especially, in the part of Knowing Why, I can learn why people want more tips. I will give tip taker more tips when I travel abroad.^^*