ODB 8 Mini-Lesson Reflection

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their eighth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Which mini-lesson in ICC class would you most easily be able to teach in a real EFL class in Korea?

Target
29%
Source
29%
International Target
43%

Total votes: 7

Jason M. Ham

ODB 8 Mini-Lesson Reflection

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:55 am

We have just completed our Mini-lesson assignment in ICC class. Each group prepared various culture materials (target, source, and international target) and demonstrated their ability to teach EFL culture lessons through 20 minutes of organized micro-teaching. Each lesson was followed up with valuable balanced feedback. Now it is time to reflect upon what we learned together as teachers, student participants, and even "givers of feedback." For this post, I want you to compose a well-organized paragraph explaining what you learned from this culture materials mini-lesson assignment. Keep any feedback balanced and feel free to add any questions you have for other groups at the end of your paragraph. Remember to reply to at least two other classmates’ new topics. The deadline is 6/24 by 6:29pm.

ICCseonhee

Re: ODB 8 Mini-Lesson Reflection

Post by ICCseonhee » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:34 am

Through the mini-lesson, I was able to become a real learner who has an intercultural competence. After weeks of preparation and listening to each of the mini-lessons, I received accomplishment and motivation as a teacher, it stimulated me to study the culture and the language in more depth. And also I received a universal viewpoint on different cultures as a learner. In my thought, other classmates including my team members could have lots of enlightenment as much as me. I have great respect for our efforts and passion. Even though our skills are still in the shell, our willingness to communicate with other cultures is enough to get over the weakness.

ICC steve

A long way to go!!!!

Post by ICC steve » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am

When I chose this Tesol program, my top priority goal was just to improve my general English ability, especially speaking skill. Actually, that was for my personal goal, not for the one as an English teacher. As the program was going on, I began to realize that there was something beyond that. ICC class, including other classes, reminded me of why or how I teach English. I seemed to focus on more the language itself thant on its functions or the connection of the language and culture, or learners' personalities. Language is a tool to communicate with ohter people. And desirable communication should be interaction between speaker and listener, or sender and receiver. Through the mini-lesson, other teams did well in eliciting interaction between teachers and learners. Of course, our team did our best, too. But for my part, there was a lot to be desired. A sage said," we shape ourselves until we die." It means that I can shape myself into a better teacher. Now, I'm just in the stage to be aware of tons of principles of language, but I will straighten up all the things to apply to my classes afterwards. A Ja, A Ja, A Ja....

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:03 am

We finally completed our mission successful. In my case, even though I really practiced a lot to teach "how about" of the source. It is not easy to use English in my classroom. However my fantastic colleagues concentrated me, I could explain cheerfully it. During preparing source culture I also could know about my source culture more deeply. When I learned the international target culture, it was really impressed to me. I could know history of the Ka-mate, meaning of facial and chant. I was especially interested in procedure of knowing how. It could be hard to understand other cultures sometimes. Through this activities, we could learn about other cultures and understand more. The more people know about culture the more people could be interested in learning foreign language.

ICC kyoung a

Re: A long way to go!!!!

Post by ICC kyoung a » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:35 am

ICC steve wrote:When I chose this Tesol program, my top priority goal was just to improve my general English ability, especially speaking skill. Actually, that was for my personal goal, not for the one as an English teacher. As the program was going on, I began to realize that there was something beyond that. ICC class, including other classes, reminded me of why or how I teach English. I seemed to focus on more the language itself thant on its functions or the connection of the language and culture, or learners' personalities. Language is a tool to communicate with ohter people. And desirable communication should be interaction between speaker and listener, or sender and receiver. Through the mini-lesson, other teams did well in eliciting interaction between teachers and learners. Of course, our team did our best, too. But for my part, there was a lot to be desired. A sage said," we shape ourselves until we die." It means that I can shape myself into a better teacher. Now, I'm just in the stage to be aware of tons of principles of language, but I will straighten up all the things to apply to my classes afterwards. A Ja, A Ja, A Ja....
When I read your post, I felt heart-warming. As you are the captain of the our tesol program, you always encouraged us. You did a really good job of the Knowing Why. I confidently predict success for your teaching after tesol program.^^*

ICC_MyungYeon

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:13 pm

Regarding the mini lesson, I learnd lot of things.Especially I'd like to take the [pint of the communocation skill. Once I prepared the lesson with my grop memebers , we collected lots of infomation which we thought it could be more effective for students, that means we could put our feet in student shose. So we could understand student side to make them more communicative. Also once I took others lesson as a leaner, I could understand how much they consider leaners to make them what my group considered as a teacher. I recognised that teachers and leaners could consider the opposite side to communicate smothly and effetvely. That' why teacher and leaners makes those of effort in the class. :D

ICC_MyungYeon

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:21 pm

ICC kyoung a wrote:We finally completed our mission successful. In my case, even though I really practiced a lot to teach "how about" of the source. It is not easy to use English in my classroom. However my fantastic colleagues concentrated me, I could explain cheerfully it. During preparing source culture I also could know about my source culture more deeply. When I learned the international target culture, it was really impressed to me. I could know history of the Ka-mate, meaning of facial and chant. I was especially interested in procedure of knowing how. It could be hard to understand other cultures sometimes. Through this activities, we could learn about other cultures and understand more. The more people know about culture the more people could be interested in learning foreign language.
I totally agree with you :). Once leaners learne the culture, that makes the leaners have lots of fun to learn language. As same as you, I had lot of fun in ka-mate class to demonstrate. It was really fun :)

ICC_MyungYeon

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:30 pm

ICCseonhee wrote:Through the mini-lesson, I was able to become a real learner who has an intercultural competence. After weeks of preparation and listening to each of the mini-lessons, I received accomplishment and motivation as a teacher, it stimulated me to study the culture and the language in more depth. And also I received a universal viewpoint on different cultures as a learner. In my thought, other classmates including my team members could have lots of enlightenment as much as me. I have great respect for our efforts and passion. Even though our skills are still in the shell, our willingness to communicate with other cultures is enough to get over the weakness.
I Also repect your effort and passion In your mini-lesson about tipp-culture, It really helped me reflecte my experience to think in more hostorical. :D

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:35 am

ICC_MyungYeon wrote:Regarding the mini lesson, I learnd lot of things.Especially I'd like to take the [pint of the communocation skill. Once I prepared the lesson with my grop memebers , we collected lots of infomation which we thought it could be more effective for students, that means we could put our feet in student shose. So we could understand student side to make them more communicative. Also once I took others lesson as a leaner, I could understand how much they consider leaners to make them what my group considered as a teacher. I recognised that teachers and leaners could consider the opposite side to communicate smothly and effetvely. That' why teacher and leaners makes those of effort in the class. :D

I like the point that while you prepared your lesson, you spent some time considering what your lesson should be like. Through the stage of preparing the lesson, we can be improved much more than in the teaching stage.

ICC Jisu

Post by ICC Jisu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:38 am

I enjoyed these culture mini-lessons a lot. I haven't taught much or been taught culture-based lessons before. Through the culture lessons I realized how hard teaching the target culture in the target language is. Even to us tipping culture is not as much familiar as to Americans. Teaching something that is not familiar enough requires a lot of work to be done in advance. Teachers should always do lots of research and be aware of which language is involved in the culture content. The source culture lesson was really fun and I was interested in how our own culture could be translated and introduced to other people. Some day I'd like to teach Korean culture in my class in English. Although most textbooks deal with the source culture, but they are boring. I could pick the interesting parts of Korean culture such as 때밀이. I think next time we could teach more of the language in our lessons. Our lessons were more like presentations. So I hope we could have our students take part in learning to make our lessons more exciting.

ICC Jisu

Re: A long way to go!!!!

Post by ICC Jisu » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:41 am

ICC steve wrote:When I chose this Tesol program, my top priority goal was just to improve my general English ability, especially speaking skill. Actually, that was for my personal goal, not for the one as an English teacher. As the program was going on, I began to realize that there was something beyond that. ICC class, including other classes, reminded me of why or how I teach English. I seemed to focus on more the language itself thant on its functions or the connection of the language and culture, or learners' personalities. Language is a tool to communicate with ohter people. And desirable communication should be interaction between speaker and listener, or sender and receiver. Through the mini-lesson, other teams did well in eliciting interaction between teachers and learners. Of course, our team did our best, too. But for my part, there was a lot to be desired. A sage said," we shape ourselves until we die." It means that I can shape myself into a better teacher. Now, I'm just in the stage to be aware of tons of principles of language, but I will straighten up all the things to apply to my classes afterwards. A Ja, A Ja, A Ja....

You are such a great teacher! I am sure you will get much greater after this program :)
Now we have to apply what we've learned so far in our classroom.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:14 am

ICCseonhee wrote:Through the mini-lesson, I was able to become a real learner who has an intercultural competence. After weeks of preparation and listening to each of the mini-lessons, I received accomplishment and motivation as a teacher, it stimulated me to study the culture and the language in more depth. And also I received a universal viewpoint on different cultures as a learner. In my thought, other classmates including my team members could have lots of enlightenment as much as me. I have great respect for our efforts and passion. Even though our skills are still in the shell, our willingness to communicate with other cultures is enough to get over the weakness.

I agree with you. As Ann mentioned in practiccum class, making a great lesson is definitely helpful for students, but , what is better, that process also help improve your own English. I totally understand how you felt when you finished the mini-lesson. You did good job. Lots of congrats.

ICC steve

Post by ICC steve » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:23 am

ICC Jisu wrote:I enjoyed these culture mini-lessons a lot. I haven't taught much or been taught culture-based lessons before. Through the culture lessons I realized how hard teaching the target culture in the target language is. Even to us tipping culture is not as much familiar as to Americans. Teaching something that is not familiar enough requires a lot of work to be done in advance. Teachers should always do lots of research and be aware of which language is involved in the culture content. The source culture lesson was really fun and I was interested in how our own culture could be translated and introduced to other people. Some day I'd like to teach Korean culture in my class in English. Although most textbooks deal with the source culture, but they are boring. I could pick the interesting parts of Korean culture such as 때밀이. I think next time we could teach more of the language in our lessons. Our lessons were more like presentations. So I hope we could have our students take part in learning to make our lessons more exciting.

To be honest, TEE is my final, top goal as a teacher and TEE with genuine interactions with students is a long way for me. Yes, it's true that we spend lots of time to prepare such a lesson, which is sometimes only for an hour class. But you will not give up? Me, neither. 홧~팅!!!!

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:07 pm

After finishing our mini-lesson, I could learn lots of things even if I felt something wanting that I could do better. I learned that teachers’ constant efforts and passions make students be impressed and more interested in their lessons. Actually, I enjoyed the mini-lessons that my classmates prepared. About the source culture lesson, I think they chose the nice topic “때밀이” because it was very common and familiar, so I could understand the lesson easily. Especially, it was good for me that they explained difficult vocabularies with matching game very well. The target culture lesson about “Tips in North America” was also nice. I was usually wondered how much money I should give as a tip. Through this lesson, I was taught why we should give tips and how to calculate tips. It was useful information to me. I think it is important to choose a topic well what students are curious and want to know. In my opinion, successful lessons depend on teachers’ interest, affection, effort, and passion towards students. For that all my classmates did great jobs. I give them a big hand for their wonderful lessons. Especially, my team members, Wonhee and Seunghyun, you were the best to me. Thank you!!^^

ICC eunjeong

Post by ICC eunjeong » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:31 pm

ICC Jisu wrote:I enjoyed these culture mini-lessons a lot. I haven't taught much or been taught culture-based lessons before. Through the culture lessons I realized how hard teaching the target culture in the target language is. Even to us tipping culture is not as much familiar as to Americans. Teaching something that is not familiar enough requires a lot of work to be done in advance. Teachers should always do lots of research and be aware of which language is involved in the culture content. The source culture lesson was really fun and I was interested in how our own culture could be translated and introduced to other people. Some day I'd like to teach Korean culture in my class in English. Although most textbooks deal with the source culture, but they are boring. I could pick the interesting parts of Korean culture such as 때밀이. I think next time we could teach more of the language in our lessons. Our lessons were more like presentations. So I hope we could have our students take part in learning to make our lessons more exciting.

Absolutely, I agree with you. It is very difficult to teach the target or international target or even source culture in the target language. However, you gave a great lesson to us successfully even though it was not perfect yet. I believe that you will try more and can teach English in English perfectly in the future.