ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their ninth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Is your family more like the Green family or the Washington family?

The Green's
100%
The Washington's
No votes

Total votes: 7

ICC_MyungYeon

Re: Experience culture shock in a wedding reception

Post by ICC_MyungYeon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:34 pm

ICC Jisu wrote:I was one of the daughters of Green family. When Jason gave us the role sheet, I was very worried because the role I had to take was different from what I really am. Our Green family members set the character of each. When we got into the room and met the Washington family, it was like an artificial and awkward drama. But as we played our roles, I felt that I became the real Sue Green, in some parts, I felt still uncomfortable with my character, though. The interesting thing is that I felt a little offended and kind of upset when the Washington family kept saying little and not smiling at us, even though I knew this is a set situation. I think all of us played our roles very well and I enjoyed it a lot. These culture shock can happen not only when we go abroad, but in our everyday life.
During the activity, I also felt upset like you at the same time. Even I was Washington family. It means that some differencies could make people shocked both side .
Anyway, you know , you were exactly in the role . Sometimes I could not help smiling becasue of you znd your "Gree family". :)

ICCwonhee

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICCwonhee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:37 am

I played Washington family which is totally different from my personality. Two families was extremely contrasting. In my opinion, Greens' character is commonly acceptable rather than Washingtons' one in korea. Greens families really tried to be friendly and nice to Washington family. I believe we need to show our humanity to reach others. But it seemed that it didn't acceptable to Greens well, we can never say that it was wrong because of difference. From this simulation activity, I have learned something very important that it could be never easy to understand someone who have different background So, real consideration is from unconditional acceptance without evaluating by your own standard.

ICCwonhee

Post by ICCwonhee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 am

ICC Jisu wrote:I was one of the daughters of Green family. When Jason gave us the role sheet, I was very worried because the role I had to take was different from what I really am. Our Green family members set the character of each. When we got into the room and met the Washington family, it was like an artificial and awkward drama. But as we played our roles, I felt that I became the real Sue Green, in some parts, I felt still uncomfortable with my character, though. The interesting thing is that I felt a little offended and kind of upset when the Washington family kept saying little and not smiling at us, even though I knew this is a set situation. I think all of us played our roles very well and I enjoyed it a lot. These culture shock can happen not only when we go abroad, but in our everyday life.

You was totally Green family. So, still, i can believe you that you had to take was different from you.^^ Anyways, i think If you were Washington family, it could b more diffcult because that is extremely different from korean.

ICCwonhee

Re: Learning a foreign language means .....

Post by ICCwonhee » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:01 am

ICC steve wrote:Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.
You are great. i agree with your mantion that how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. we can never say that it was wrong because of difference. It could be never easy to understand someone who have different background becasue it means that thay could have totally different criteria of attitude and behavior.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:16 am

I was one of the siblings Washington family. When I discuss our roles, in fact I worried about my roles. Because I was not sure I could do the work well. During the activity I was really shocked. That reason was Green family members were very generous and smile a lot, on the other hand I pretended to don't mingle with other people well. It was very uncomfortable to me. I really would like to be Green family members. After the activity I felt that culture shock could see different country and same country. To understand each different cultures I think we shoud put ourselves in another person’s shoes.

ICC kyoung a

Post by ICC kyoung a » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:27 am

One of the best interestings are your roles. That roles was not you. However as a Green family daughters you did a great jobs.

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:32 am

Wedding reception activity was interesting. I was green to liveliness, briskness, activity, big laughing characteristics. But my personality is similar Wasington rather than them. I was effort to look like Green family. It was difficult to me. When I was going more laughed intentionally, marvelous I felt really enjoy. This activity gave to me comprehension to behavior among other cultures. At first, a dialogue with the cultural differences of each family, but increasingly difficult to adapt to different cultures. Washington family adjusted Green family getting more and more smiles. I thought they have been understand each other's culture. I'm sorry too late. Thanks to your teaching.

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:40 am

ICC steve wrote:Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.

Your performance really seemed to Washington family. I applaud your efforts to the activities to didn't taking food like Washington.

ICCdayoung

Post by ICCdayoung » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:52 am

You was one of the most brilliant people in activities. When I was difficult to be like Green family, you helped to me by proposing massage. I thanks to your care to me look like green a family.