ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

This is where Jason's ICC students should come to post their ninth homework assignment.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Is your family more like the Green family or the Washington family?

The Green's
7
100%
The Washington's
0
No votes
 
Total votes: 7

Jason M. Ham
Posts: 669
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Yeokgok, Bucheon, South Korea

ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by Jason M. Ham »

This week in class we did a simulation activity based on cultural awareness and cultural sensitivity. Two families from very different cultures--the Greens and the Washingtons--attended a wedding reception together and interacted on many levels. Each of you was a member of one of these families. For this ODB assignment, I would like you to reflect on the experience. Write about how you felt before, during, and after the activity. What did you notice about your own behavior and the behavior of the others in this activity? Remember to compose one new topic and two replies. Your deadline is Friday, July 1st (6:29pm). Good luck.

ICC Jisu
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Experience culture shock in a wedding reception

Post by ICC Jisu »

I was one of the daughters of Green family. When Jason gave us the role sheet, I was very worried because the role I had to take was different from what I really am. Our Green family members set the character of each. When we got into the room and met the Washington family, it was like an artificial and awkward drama. But as we played our roles, I felt that I became the real Sue Green, in some parts, I felt still uncomfortable with my character, though. The interesting thing is that I felt a little offended and kind of upset when the Washington family kept saying little and not smiling at us, even though I knew this is a set situation. I think all of us played our roles very well and I enjoyed it a lot. These culture shock can happen not only when we go abroad, but in our everyday life.

ICC steve
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

Learning a foreign language means .....

Post by ICC steve »

Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.

ICC eunjeong
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICC eunjeong »

At the last class, we did the role play. The Washington family was quite educated and full of conceit, so they shouldn’t greet friendly when the Green family greeted happily. And also they shouldn’t like to mingle with the Greens so they shouldn’t talk a lot. On the other hands, the Green family was active and positive, so they greet us cheerfully and ask questions positively. However, almost of them didn’t have jobs and sometimes their attitudes were rude a little to the Washingtons. There was lots of difference between two families. In this role-play, I acted a second daughter of the Washingtons as a professor. Actually, I thought that I was out of character. So I should have a hard time during the role play. I felt that I would like to respond and react when the Green family members asked and suggested something. I like to talk and laugh. It is my real character. But I couldn’t do that in the situation. I’ve never experienced like this situation but just watched on TV drama. I think all my classmates enjoyed the role play but I’m sure they also felt uncomfortable about their characters. Through this activity, I learned that we can feel culture shock in various fields such as different country, family, occupation, education, and so on. I think we should try to understand each different culture.

ICC eunjeong
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 am

Re: Experience culture shock in a wedding reception

Post by ICC eunjeong »

ICC Jisu wrote:I was one of the daughters of Green family. When Jason gave us the role sheet, I was very worried because the role I had to take was different from what I really am. Our Green family members set the character of each. When we got into the room and met the Washington family, it was like an artificial and awkward drama. But as we played our roles, I felt that I became the real Sue Green, in some parts, I felt still uncomfortable with my character, though. The interesting thing is that I felt a little offended and kind of upset when the Washington family kept saying little and not smiling at us, even though I knew this is a set situation. I think all of us played our roles very well and I enjoyed it a lot. These culture shock can happen not only when we go abroad, but in our everyday life.

I was surprised during this role-play. You played a talkative person who I've never seen very well. Even though you said you were not suitable for the character, I think you were in character. It was a rediscovery of your character, wasn't it? I liked your cheerful, active character. And also I'd like to say 'sorry' because I couldn't greet friendly when you greet me happily. It was also my charactor in the role-play.^^

ICC eunjeong
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:46 am

Re: Learning a foreign language means .....

Post by ICC eunjeong »

ICC steve wrote:Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.

I'd like to give you a big hand. You played your role very well. And also I agree with your opinion. It is important to try to understand someone who has different culture through putting ourselves in the other person's shoes

ICC Jisu
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Learning a foreign language means .....

Post by ICC Jisu »

ICC steve wrote:Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.


You said you had this role play based on Korean point of view. I agree with your point. However long we are exposed to the target culture, we can't change ourselves.

ICC Jisu
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:30 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICC Jisu »

ICC eunjeong wrote:At the last class, we did the role play. The Washington family was quite educated and full of conceit, so they shouldn’t greet friendly when the Green family greeted happily. And also they shouldn’t like to mingle with the Greens so they shouldn’t talk a lot. On the other hands, the Green family was active and positive, so they greet us cheerfully and ask questions positively. However, almost of them didn’t have jobs and sometimes their attitudes were rude a little to the Washingtons. There was lots of difference between two families. In this role-play, I acted a second daughter of the Washingtons as a professor. Actually, I thought that I was out of character. So I should have a hard time during the role play. I felt that I would like to respond and react when the Green family members asked and suggested something. I like to talk and laugh. It is my real character. But I couldn’t do that in the situation. I’ve never experienced like this situation but just watched on TV drama. I think all my classmates enjoyed the role play but I’m sure they also felt uncomfortable about their characters. Through this activity, I learned that we can feel culture shock in various fields such as different country, family, occupation, education, and so on. I think we should try to understand each different culture.

Now, all of us had hard time in role-playing. :D
While reading your reflection, I could think of how Washington's family felt during the role play. I just felt that we, Green family got offended that night. But now I knew our behaviors could be seen so rude and careless in the point of Washington's. Thank you for your reflection!

ICC steve
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

Re: Experience culture shock in a wedding reception

Post by ICC steve »

ICC Jisu wrote:I was one of the daughters of Green family. When Jason gave us the role sheet, I was very worried because the role I had to take was different from what I really am. Our Green family members set the character of each. When we got into the room and met the Washington family, it was like an artificial and awkward drama. But as we played our roles, I felt that I became the real Sue Green, in some parts, I felt still uncomfortable with my character, though. The interesting thing is that I felt a little offended and kind of upset when the Washington family kept saying little and not smiling at us, even though I knew this is a set situation. I think all of us played our roles very well and I enjoyed it a lot. These culture shock can happen not only when we go abroad, but in our everyday life.

I agree with your opinion that culture shock could happen in the setting of the same culture. So we place an importance on common sennse, which can be acquired through interaction wiht other people, and could be a standard that leads us to behave well, and judge and balance our behaviors or others' behaviors.

ICC steve
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:32 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICC steve »

ICC eunjeong wrote:At the last class, we did the role play. The Washington family was quite educated and full of conceit, so they shouldn’t greet friendly when the Green family greeted happily. And also they shouldn’t like to mingle with the Greens so they shouldn’t talk a lot. On the other hands, the Green family was active and positive, so they greet us cheerfully and ask questions positively. However, almost of them didn’t have jobs and sometimes their attitudes were rude a little to the Washingtons. There was lots of difference between two families. In this role-play, I acted a second daughter of the Washingtons as a professor. Actually, I thought that I was out of character. So I should have a hard time during the role play. I felt that I would like to respond and react when the Green family members asked and suggested something. I like to talk and laugh. It is my real character. But I couldn’t do that in the situation. I’ve never experienced like this situation but just watched on TV drama. I think all my classmates enjoyed the role play but I’m sure they also felt uncomfortable about their characters. Through this activity, I learned that we can feel culture shock in various fields such as different country, family, occupation, education, and so on. I think we should try to understand each different culture.

Yes, the same to me. Being another self is an easy job for me. It seemed like a normal person was acting like a blind, or deaf one. But the idea of "If I were you" is necessary to live a harmonious life with others, I felt.

ICCseonhee
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICCseonhee »

Before i met Green family, i couldn't be a Washington because even i couldn't understand Washington's behaviors such as cynical attitude, and excessive pride. But as soon as i met Green, i became a Washingon before i knew it. Through wedding role play, i realized once more how important the intercultural competence is. Those two families-Washington and Green-don't have any intercultural competence. It leads to severe misundersting and enmity. Without efforts to understand each other, find something in common, we can't communicate with people and also we can't not live peacefully.

ICCseonhee
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

Re: Learning a foreign language means .....

Post by ICCseonhee »

ICC steve wrote:Learning a foreign language includes awareness of cultural differences and similarities of the target language. Last class we did a role play for that. Before we did the role play, we were a little bit confused about our roles to play. First, we had to set up the relationship as to how we would be connected to each other in Greens' family. As shown in the directions, we were supposed to act in casual ways. However, for me, my acting must have been based on the Korean's point of view. It's because the standard of 'being casual' is different from culture to culture. So the activity led me to think of how different the criteria of cultural values may be from culture to culture. During the activity, I sometimes felt frustrated or upset at the attitudes of Washingtons' family. They looked so arrogant and so proud of themselves. They were not approachable easily. What if I met those people in reality? Obviously, they must have thought of Greens' family as rude, shallow, or impolite. For me, I would try to balance my attitudes towards the family if I wanted to build the good relationship and keep in touch with them. Their reactions to my behaviors could act as a mirror to change my attitudes. As a result, if there are some differences or misunderstaning in communication, it's a good idea to put yourself in the other's shoes. Now, when I come back to a language class as a teacher, what aspects of a language should I teach? I'd like to encourage students to build the universal standards on how they behave in the international society and understand how different or similar every culture is.
I like your reflection especially the expression of 'mirror' and 'shoes'. it inspired me to be more open-mined person.

ICCseonhee
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:08 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICCseonhee »

ICC eunjeong wrote:At the last class, we did the role play. The Washington family was quite educated and full of conceit, so they shouldn’t greet friendly when the Green family greeted happily. And also they shouldn’t like to mingle with the Greens so they shouldn’t talk a lot. On the other hands, the Green family was active and positive, so they greet us cheerfully and ask questions positively. However, almost of them didn’t have jobs and sometimes their attitudes were rude a little to the Washingtons. There was lots of difference between two families. In this role-play, I acted a second daughter of the Washingtons as a professor. Actually, I thought that I was out of character. So I should have a hard time during the role play. I felt that I would like to respond and react when the Green family members asked and suggested something. I like to talk and laugh. It is my real character. But I couldn’t do that in the situation. I’ve never experienced like this situation but just watched on TV drama. I think all my classmates enjoyed the role play but I’m sure they also felt uncomfortable about their characters. Through this activity, I learned that we can feel culture shock in various fields such as different country, family, occupation, education, and so on. I think we should try to understand each different culture.
I agree wiyh you. Having something in common is very important to keep communication. But if we are placed in such a difficult situation( like that wedding), we need to try to find something in common to understand each other.

ICC_MyungYeon
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICC_MyungYeon »

In the activity, I was the yougest of Washington family. Once I had a role card about Washington family, it was shocking and kind of fun to pretend others. Once we did the activity as a wedding reception Washington and Green family, it was shocking that Washington and Green family were placed totally opposite side each other. Especially, in my case as Washington family, I couldn,t have an eye contact with others in convsesation. on the other hands , as Green family , they had always had an exe contact in every time they talked .It was unconfortable to act for me. Usually people think that once people talk with others, they should have an eye contact each others to be communicative with coutersy and thoughtfulness. I thought that kinds of situation being different and uncomfortable could be happened. So we should be prepared to accept less shock . Also ,the whole of activity was so interesting and lots of fun. :)

ICC_MyungYeon
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:06 am

Re: ODB 9 Wedding Role-play

Post by ICC_MyungYeon »

ICCseonhee wrote:Before i met Green family, i couldn't be a Washington because even i couldn't understand Washington's behaviors such as cynical attitude, and excessive pride. But as soon as i met Green, i became a Washingon before i knew it. Through wedding role play, i realized once more how important the intercultural competence is. Those two families-Washington and Green-don't have any intercultural competence. It leads to severe misundersting and enmity. Without efforts to understand each other, find something in common, we can't communicate with people and also we can't not live peacefully.
As you mentioned, we should find something in common to be more communicative to live togerther. Sometimes it could be difficult ,but understnading & accepting others could be helpful for it. ^^

Post Reply