Some painful experience in America

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their ODB assignments.

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Grace

Some painful experience in America

Post by ICC Grace » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:56 pm

Some experience in America
Two years ago, I had visited my parents in California. After having a wonderful time with my mom and dad, I decided to visit my brother in Chicago. Not by airplane but by Amtrak train. The ticket agent said it would take almost three days to get there. I should have reserved a berth that has a bed to sleep in. But it was so expensive that I couldn’t afford it. So I decided to buy an ordinary ticket meaning that I had to sleep on my seat. So I took a bus to the train station to buy a ticket. In Korea, using public transfortaiton is very convient thing to do. But in America it was pretty time-consuming job. I had waited almost 40 minutes just to get on the bus. After I finally sat down by the window, a disabled man in a wheelchair showed up outside the bus. Suddendly the bus driver operated the levers next to him, soon the bus door made the thundering sound and started to tansform into stairs for the old man to drive his wheelchair into the bus. The driver didn't hesitate to help him with his wheelchair kindly. The wheelchair man was wearing shabby clothes and some dirty plastic bags were hanging all over around him like a poor man. But surprisingly no one in that bus seemed to mind at all or comlain being late for their destination. It took about 10 minutes to start the bus again. It was kind of very shocking experience to see how they handle a disabled man in a wheelchair calmly and without big fuss in public trasnportation. A few days later, I had a wonderful trip to Chicago by Amtrak, even though I felt some pain on my butt because of the hard seat. But I had enjoyed looking outside the window, nevertheless there wasn’t much to see. The railroad ran through just forest and suburb area. America was such a huge country and that made me feel a little intimidated and also very excited all along. I even had a lunch in a dining car on a train to refresh myself. A couple of American berth travelers joined my table. I happened to have a humorous talk with them. They made fun of me not buying a berth ticket after hearing that I had some problem you know what^^. Next time you want to travel by Amtrak to cross the continent, be sure to buy a berth ticket.^^ :D :D
Last edited by ICC Grace on Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Living My Life

Re: Riding Amtrak from California to Chicago

Post by Living My Life » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:07 pm

Hello I'm Paula
In 2005 I went to "Israel for the first time in my life with a church group. Now grant you we were not in the air for three days but the light was 21 hours long. It felt like three days. I to was very excited and sitting by the window. The view was breath taking. Then after a while the excitement wore off and my bottom started to hurt. Other were walking the lies stretching their legs. I just wanted off the plan. I to must say it was the experience of a life time and enough for me. Now all my trips are short! :D

Living My Life

Living My Life

Post by Living My Life » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:08 pm

Living My Life wrote:Hello I'm Paula
In 2005 I went to "Israel for the first time in my life with a church group. Now grant you we were not in the air for three days but the light was 21 hours long. It felt like three days. I to was very excited and sitting by the window. The view was breath taking. Then after a while the excitement wore off and my bottom started to hurt. Other were walking the lies stretching their legs. I just wanted off the plan. I to must say it was the experience of a life time and enough for me. Now all my trips are short! :lol:

Living My Life

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:54 am

These are interesting stories--and may have taken place in foreign countries, but what do they tell us about intercultural communication? Remember to write about a CULTURAL experience. This should involve relating experiences interacting with people from other cultures--or coming into contact with exotic practices, customs--that kind of thing. Try to go deeper than just giving travel tips.

ICC Grace

Re: Some painful experience in America

Post by ICC Grace » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:07 pm

Yah, you are right, Prof. Jason. I made some corrections over my draft. I hope I got it right this time! ^^

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:31 am

I like your story so much. Actully, I experienced the same thing as yours. The way western people treat the disabled was really touching to me. Unlike our attitude in which we avoid them, sometimes ignore them and complain about inconvenience with them, their treatment was kind and fair irrespective of their physical inability. I guessed that they consider the disabled as same humans. Very Beautiful!!! Let's learn it. *^.~*

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:21 am

The refocused draft is an improvement. Is your controlling idea that Americans have more patience for and tolerance of disabled people?