Individuality : Root of Making IPhone

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their ODB assignments.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Clara Park

Individuality : Root of Making IPhone

Post by Clara Park » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:22 am

Respecting individuality of students is the most unforgettable memory which I experienced during my visit in California last year. One of teacher's training course, I visited the middle school. Because of the tight schedule, we had some complaints ar first. Nevertheless, as soon as we entered the school, we were totally shocked at the music and dancing "festival" while students were eating lunch on the grass. Participation and seeing were free. Almost all students looked very happy and seemed to enjoy their time. That kind of event was a very special one once a year in Korean school but I heard that it usually held once a week or twice a month only if the students wanted. In addition, during the class, they were willing to express their ideas and teachers encouraged them even if they got wrong answers. I concluded that creative thinking of making iPhone, namely, America's potential originated from it's educational method of placing a high value on students' individuality.
Last edited by Clara Park on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ICC Grace

Re: Individuality : Root of Making IPhone

Post by ICC Grace » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:07 pm

I bet you were pretty shocked when you had visited the middle school in Canada. I think we Koreans are accustomed to teacher-centured learning only, we don't know how to respect learners' personalities and listen to their weakness individually. But you know what, our system made us one of the smartest people in the world^^

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:37 pm

Really thanks for your encouragement. I Partly aggree the merits of our educational system . However, I can't remove the idea that the cramming method of teaching and mechanical rote learning are the main killers of students' creativity. As a high school teacher, I have forced my students to memorize many things and I feel so sorry. I really want to make my students happy during my class through the games and activities. It's the one of the reasons why I learn Tesol. I assume that I cannot give all information for students and I am only a guide or a facilitater of their learning, making them learn by themselves. How about negotiating or compromising some advantages of both educational systems? *^.~*

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:40 am

You are perfectly right. As your being a high school teacher, I think you are the one who can exactly feel and think how badly our educational system can push them forward and sometimes discourage our young learners. Especially for a little behind students. But we are already used to those kind of learning-teaching system. Maybe we could give it a hard try to make our classroom more relaxed and open-hearted from now on, like you said, Clara^^. Thanks for your reply!!!
You are a great teacher. Your students are very lucky ones!! ^^ ^^

ICC Seona

Post by ICC Seona » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:14 am

It seems that difference of traditional thinking reflected educational circumstance.
I also think they look happier than us. Can we make flexible and vivid atmosphere in class?
To do that, first we change our thinking flexible.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 am

So great! I admit the fact that our educational system reflects our traditional culture.
But what 'kind of traditinal thinking' influenced our system? Please, let me have the specific explanations about our traditional thoughts.
I guess but I really want to hear your opinions. *^.~*

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:41 pm

After reading your post, I think educational difference between Korea and America once more.
I have never seen the active atmosphere like you mentioned before since I was elementary school student. I miss those days. So, after returning to Korea, did you try to make creative atmosphere and activity in your class?

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:19 am

Always I want it and try it. I am very sick of "silence" in my class. So, as much as possible, I ask my students to do somethings even if it's very simple.
One of my class routine, they usually introduce the new words in front of the whole class. Sometimes, I make them guess the story, present their ideas, or write some sentences related with the text. We have some special time after exams such as running dictations or learning a song. My students seem to enjoy activities but we have much burden about the grades, so we can't invest much time in activities. *^.~*

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:42 am

Were there any cultural aspects you encountered that made you uncomfortable?

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:20 pm

About the school? When I entered the classroom, the grades of students were shown on the walls. It was shocking because it was a taboo in Korea. If we do that, we'll be confronted with many protests from students and parents as well because of private breaches. Also, many things including their progress, attendance and art works were displayed on walls.
The most envious thing I felt in U.S. was their socioability. Even if I was a stranger, they didnt hesitate to speak to me. At first, It took some time to adapt it but I thought they were more genuine, warm-hearted and open-minded than Koreans. While I used public transportation, I came to learn manythings through nice talking with American "Strangers".

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:56 am

Clara Park wrote:About the school? When I entered the classroom, the grades of students were shown on the walls. It was shocking because it was a taboo in Korea. If we do that, we'll be confronted with many protests from students and parents as well because of private breaches. Also, many things including their progress, attendance and art works were displayed on walls.
The most envious thing I felt in U.S. was their socioability. Even if I was a stranger, they didnt hesitate to speak to me. At first, It took some time to adapt it but I thought they were more genuine, warm-hearted and open-minded than Koreans. While I used public transportation, I came to learn manythings through nice talking with American "Strangers".
Very interesting observatios here, Clara. I've also found strangers more talkative in the US in general--especially in smaller towns and cities. The part about posting students' scores is another interesting cultural difference you pointed out. :-)