Difference of Police Officer

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their ODB assignments.

Moderator: Soon Mi

SO-YOUNG

Difference of Police Officer

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:43 am

Actually, I don’t have any experience in foreign country. So, before starting this assignment, I have been thinking about the proper topic. Finally I decide to talk about one big difference between Korean’s and American’s police officer. This topic is just I heard from many other people. We can see how the police officers are very easily through the American Drama. And we think that the American cop makes people freezing and scary. However, in Korea, police is not alike. Some foreign people who see the police walking on the street or staying at the corner of street are ignoring the police and mocking. Foreigners may think that the police in Korea looks just not a person who related with law but just man who walking on the street. One day I heard about that reason why police have a difference between Korea and America. The reason is that American police man has an executive power but Korea has not. This topic is very interesting and I’m very shocked when I heard about the story of different role of police officer.

Clara Park

Re: Difference of Police Officer

Post by Clara Park » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 am

Thank you for your interesting topic. I don't understand exactly what you're trying to say through 'We can see how the police officers are very easily through the American Drama.' Also I want to ask you the question." What is the 'executive power' of police officer in U.S.? Let me have the example through the contrast to Korea's. I look forward to it!! *^.~*
Last edited by Clara Park on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

ICC Seona

Post by ICC Seona » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 am

Maybe several Korea movies affect partial point of view toward police. They seem incompetence. On the other hand, American’s police officer, through the American drama, has strong power more than criminal. Is it true? Does American police has an immense power more than Korea police?

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:18 pm

Oh... I’m sorry ladies. I made your misunderstanding. First of all I want to talk to Clara. I mean that we can see the police officer at the American Drama and through it we can their social position, role, power etc. is it good for your question~? Haha sorry, I’m not good at explainㅜㅜ so sorry♡
And executive power mean is they can decide to judge about criminal’s misdeed very the situation like a traffic violation or robbery etc.

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:23 pm

Seon-a! Thank you for your reply. Yes! Movie is an affect our thinking about the police. But actually, how can I say… I don’t have an idea. How can I describe between 경찰 and 순경. When we just think about the second one, it is very different between Korea and American, isn’t it?

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:45 am

SO-YOUNG wrote:Actually, I don’t have any experience in foreign country. So, before starting this assignment, I have been thinking about the proper topic. Finally I decide to talk about one big difference between Korean’s and American’s police officer. This topic is just I heard from many other people. We can see how the police officers are very easily through the American Drama. And we think that the American cop makes people freezing and scary. However, in Korea, police is not alike. Some foreign people who see the police walking on the street or staying at the corner of street are ignoring the police and mocking. Foreigners may think that the police in Korea looks just not a person who related with law but just man who walking on the street. One day I heard about that reason why police have a difference between Korea and America. The reason is that American police man has an executive power but Korea has not. This topic is very interesting and I’m very shocked when I heard about the story of different role of police officer.
Interesting. Why do you think this difference exists? What exactly do you mean by "executive power" in your paragraph? Can you give 2-3 examples?

ICC_yuri

Post by ICC_yuri » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:11 am

Korean patrol car's lights are alway "on" (the red & blue lights) but in America, policeman turn on when they find speeder or traffic offender.