tabble manner-in Korea restaurant

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their ODB assignments.

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Seona

tabble manner-in Korea restaurant

Post by ICC Seona » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:02 am

Last weekend, I went to international jazz festival in Jara island, KyungGi-do. My friend who lives in Jara island called me to help as waitress in her restaurant. One interpreter and about twenty foreign musicians came. First we put iron chopsticks and personal dishes on the small round table. Then we set all food at once for each table — kimchi, cons, steamed eggs, vegetables, soy bean paste soup and meat (duck, pig). During working in the restaurant, I felt interest in difference. All of them requested to replace iron chopsticks with wooden chopsticks. They were surprised extra food is free, except main menu. Last thing was very impressive. It is no wonder they use their own dish but they didn’t eat as soon as grab it. First they picked up a certain amount food on a plate. Then they grab it and eat from their own. This procedure was applied to all food. Kindly, after dinner, they showed appreciation of enjoying dinner, one by one.

ICC Grace

Re: tabble manner-in Korea restaurant

Post by ICC Grace » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:22 pm

Wow, you have a wonderful experience working as an waitress in a Jazz festival. I think what you are describing is about some kind of buffet, right?
I believe all the visiters there must have enjoyed Korean food very much. Travelers usually like our food and they are crazy about free side dishes that they can have in an restaurant. In France, you have to pay for everything including a glass of water. In Korea, you can drink free water everywhere in the bank, in the deparment store, even at school. In America, you can't. We Koreans become very generous when it comes to a matter of food and drinks, I think^^.
Last edited by ICC Grace on Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:30 pm

Wow! Nice experience! I envy you. Haha anyway, I didn’t know that. I just think naturally the extra food is free. But other country doesn’t. What a difference! Thank you for your nice information.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:30 am

One time, I asked one of my American acquaintances the guestion why Americans preferred metal chopsticks. His answer was very simple. : "It is more convenient to use!" Let's ask Jason. Also, I think their custom that they take certain amount of food on their own plate is very reasonable. Contrary to Korea's table on which we put every dish at a time, It can reduce food waste. *^.~*

ICC leeyunseo

Post by ICC leeyunseo » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:00 am

I am also interested in your posting. There is no wonder 'extra food is free' to Korean. A foreigner I met before have ever said "Free food! It's wonderful' It was definately great opportinity to exprience another curture, right?

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:40 am

ICC Seona wrote:Last weekend, I went to international jazz festival in Jara island, KyungGi-do. My friend who lives in Jara island called me to help as waitress in her restaurant. One interpreter and about twenty foreign musicians came. First we put iron chopsticks and personal dishes on the small round table. Then we set all food at once for each table — kimchi, cons, steamed eggs, vegetables, soy bean paste soup and meat (duck, pig). During working in the restaurant, I felt interest in difference. All of them requested to replace iron chopsticks with wooden chopsticks. They were surprised extra food is free, except main menu. Last thing was very impressive. It is no wonder they use their own dish but they didn’t eat as soon as grab it. First they picked up a certain amount food on a plate. Then they grab it and eat from their own. This procedure was applied to all food. Kindly, after dinner, they showed appreciation of enjoying dinner, one by one.
Where were most of the visitors from. It sounds like Koreans and people from other cultures mixing, but that detail is not clear. Can you state your controlling idea in the topic sentence?

ICC_yuri

Post by ICC_yuri » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:20 am

when I ask to my american friend, what is your asian favorite food? He replied chinese fried dishes and sushi. I asked Korean food?
He said "it's ok!" it tastes fantastic but he doesn't like share the food. Korean food has lots of side dishes which everyone should share.

nighatwasim88

Post by nighatwasim88 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:24 am

Clara Park wrote:One time, I asked one of my American acquaintances the guestion why Americans preferred metal chopsticks. His answer was very simple. : "It is more convenient to use!" Let's ask Jason. Also, I think their custom that they take certain amount of food on their own plate is very reasonable. Contrary to Korea's table on which we put every dish at a time, It can reduce food waste. *^.~*
hmmmm this is a very much info thanks for sharing such a sharing. :)