ODB 2 Culture Focus Qs

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their second ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/14 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

How much experience do you have interacting with people from other cultures?

A lot
57%
Some
No votes
A little
No votes
Very little
43%
None
No votes

Total votes: 7

Jason M. Ham

ODB 2 Culture Focus Qs

Post by Jason M. Ham »

Hello everyone. This week we are reading about Sook, a Korean-American girl and her experience living in another culture. Her father shares some words of wisdom with her that we can all learn from. The reading also contains some great information about culture, its definitions, and its connection to behavior.
Read the handout and remember to answer the 3 focus questions on the third page. Please reply to this thread and answer them in your own words. For question number three, try not to post the same information as another user. Scan your classmates' posts and try to come up with new and fresh ideas. Finally, remember to reply to 2 other users in the Discussing Culture forum. This will promote more discussion and keep the threads going strong. :)
1. What is culture?
2. How does culture relate to behavior?
3. What can you tell us about the unique culture you are a part of?
ICC_yuri

Integral part of every society

Post by ICC_yuri »

I cannot say culture is something in a word. it is composed of a complex system of interacting elements;it is universal, multifaceted, and intricate. I want to say that the meaning of culture is an integral part of every society. Culture is the way each society trains and educates their young generation. The training is given inside the family unit, educated in schools by interact with people. The culture into which you are born will influence how you see the world.
Girl friends are always walking or shopping as grab their hands together in Korea, but in USA people sometimes think they are lesbian or stranger.
happynum1

Re: ODB 2 Culture Focus Qs

Post by happynum1 »

Yes, I've heard many times, If we go another country, we should not grab our homogeneous friend's hand. At first, I felt weird why did they think so? But I got understand about cultural differences. so I decided not to hold hand my girl friend if I go abroad, but I can't go anywhere yet.
hyunsoo jung

Different culture

Post by hyunsoo jung »

It can not make the definition about culture. But we knowing that is different each country’ life style, think and language. People would have to make and grown everything they needed to survive or made naturally by people. Culture very much influences the behavior of the people. A situation is perceived differently from persons of different cultures. In the same situation people of different cultures react and behave differently.
Actually, I don’t know my mind the unique culture I am a part of. I think it is almost same thing from another country. Michael Jackson said “We are the world.”