Culture : Artificial Eyes

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their second ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/14 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

Clara Park

Culture : Artificial Eyes

Post by Clara Park » Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:33 pm

Briefly speaking, culture is all-encompassing aspects of human life, offering "artificial eyes" for members of the society to cope with their world and with one another. Moreover, there is no absolute eyes which distinguish the right from the wrong because those eyes are transmitted from generation to generation through learning in certain groups of people. Therefore, if someone commits wrongdoings opposite to our learned "eyes", we are reluctant to accept his or her behaviors. In other words, our beliefs or values as part of culture are crucial factors of determining the good and evil of behaviors. However, the "clique culture" of Korea which is shaped by ties of blood, school relations and regionalisms is criticized by many foreigners and Koreans, too. I cannot deny that it contributed to promoting a sense of community and cooperation, but it has been insurmountable obstacles to further progress in the many fields of this society.
Last edited by Clara Park on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

SO-YOUNG

Re: Culture : Artificial Eyes

Post by SO-YOUNG » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:28 pm

I totally agree with your opinion that there are no absolute eyes which distinguish the right from the wrong because those eyes are transmitted from generation to generation through learning in certain groups of people. I think for this reason, the word, preconception, exists.

ICC Seona

Re: about blood type

Post by ICC Seona » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:38 am

I think many Koreans like to make small group according to blood type, school relations and regionalisms. Do you know that? Only Koreans and Japanese are interested in blood type. About blood type, there are two stories. First thing is “studies on the substrate by blood” Second thing is a sad story. When during the Korean Conflict, they received blood transfusion to people with similar characteristics.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:13 am

I didn't know that. Thank you for your sharing information. *^.~*

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 am

You mention "clique culture." Interesting--I've read some about the complexity of Korean relationships and the ability to shift behavior suddenly and accurately to match each situation. Can you think of how may cultural sub-groups you belong to?

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:04 am

Roughly speaking, I belong to about 10 groups. Wow!!
Four school relations- elementary, middle, high school and university.
One professional group- as a english teacher,
One group with same hometown in Incheon
Three groups for hobbies.
Two groups for Kinship .....

It is funny. There is no man in an island!!! *^.~*

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:14 am

I hope that you answer my question.
Like I already mentioned in the previous odb, I woder how Americans are so sociable.
It seems like they are not afraid of strangers or foreigners.
Is there a special method to make Americans friendly to foreingers, or strangers they encounter?
I really envy the sociability of Western people.