Diversity of Culture

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their second ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/14 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

SO-YOUNG

Diversity of Culture

Post by SO-YOUNG »

What is the culture? We already know that we can’t define the meaning but at the same time, we know what it is. I think it is culture: there is no answer but we know that. Stating in a brief way, culture is only for the members of the group. As we know, there are many cultures in each country. For example, youth culture, women’s culture, internet culture etc. culture is not just for a country. It divided into many cultures. That is, each culture is having something in common. This is my answer about first question. Secondly, each culture has some rules and customs. So, I think that under these rules, the members’ behavior could be appeared. Lastly, I think “we should respect our elders” is a noticeable value of our culture in Korea. For example, all buses and subways have a seat for elders in Korea. This is one of influences of our culture.

SO-YOUNG

Re: Diversity of Culture

Post by SO-YOUNG »

Professor! I wrote my opinion about not only just a country’s culture but also small group’s culture. Is it okay? I wonder. I think culture exist in possible place or thing. ^^;

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park »

I totally agree with your idea. Culture is such a general concept that it is difficult to define into one word.
But I think that it's a way of life. So It is various and countless. And our traditional value : Respceting elders is the very good one which we cherish. *^.~*

happynum1

Post by happynum1 »

I noticed right before your mention about eldery people. I think this culture is only ours. you too? It is natural that we should give our seat to eldery person. Because we are getting old and getting weaker!!!

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham »

Are you saying that respect for the elderly is unique to Korean culture? Can you think of other cultures that respect the elderly as well?