God bless you!

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their third ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/21 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

SO-YOUNG

God bless you!

Post by SO-YOUNG » Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:33 pm

I cannot make sure about following my opinion whether appropriate example or not. But, I want to talk about this expression “God bless you”! When someone sneezes, American say to that person “God bless you”. But, Korean doesn’t. If we say like the same expression to someone who sneezes, the person looks puzzled about my saying. And the person will ask me “what does it mean?”, “Why are you saying that?” These reactions are so natural because in Korea, nobody says something to the person who sneezes. When I heard the expression at the first time, I also showed the same reaction: “What?” Is it just kinds of difference of superstition? Where did the expression come from?

Lee Miyoung

Re: God bless you!

Post by Lee Miyoung » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:27 am

Soyoung!
I have found some origins of the expression. just read it!!

Several possible origins are commonly given. The practice of blessing someone who sneezes, dating as far back as at least AD 77, however, is far older than most specific explanations can account for.
One explanation holds that the custom originally began as an actual blessing. Gregory I became Pope in AD 590 as an outbreak of the bubonic plague was reaching Rome. In hopes of fighting off the disease, he ordered unending prayer and parades of chanters through the streets. At the time, sneezing was thought to be an early symptom of the plague. The blessing ("God bless you!") became a common effort to halt the disease.
A legend holds that it was believed that the heart stops beating and the phrase "bless you" is meant to ensure the return of life or to encourage your heart to continue beating Another version says that people used to believe that your soul can be thrown from your body when you sneeze, that sneezing otherwise opened your body to invasion by the Devil or evil spirits,or that sneezing was your body's effort to force out an invading evil spirit. Thus, "bless you" or "God bless you" is used as a sort of shield against evil. The Irish Folk story "Master and Man" by T. Crofton Croker, collected by William Butler Yeats, describes this variation.

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:52 am

Wow! How nice information! Thank you for your effort. I think I have heard the story before. After reading it just comes to my mind. Ha-ha. Thank you so much ^^

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:48 am

I also wonder why thre are so many expressions related with God.
I think MI Young's explanations are so plausible. Thank you for sharing.. *^.~*

ICC_yuri

Post by ICC_yuri » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:23 am

Among American national anthem lyrics "God bless America. My home sweet home" America is deeply related with religion and English shows its result.