One episode of reality

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their third ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/21 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Grace

One episode of reality

Post by ICC Grace » Sun Oct 16, 2011 2:09 pm

A Korean student studying abroad almost got suspended from his middle school. Because of his threat to one of his classmates. What he said was that “I will kill you”. For the last two months, he has been bullied by his American friends. One day he was so mad at them. And he just lost his mind and spilled out the words that he used to say in Korea “너 죽을래!”. In Korea, “I will kill you” means that “Come on, you better stop mocking me right now!” And we usually accepted these words as some kind of a joke. It’s not a big deal. In America, they take them very seriously. You can be suspended for couple of weeks at home or what is worse you can be transferred to another school. That’s a disgrace. I think this episode shows us good example of the difference between Korean and English language use. We need to understand the social and cultural dimension of language to live in a foreign country without causing all sorts of trouble. Life is sometimes hard!!^^

Lee Miyoung

Re: One episode of reality

Post by Lee Miyoung » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:10 pm

Is it a real situation? What a shame!! It can also happen to us.
On the other side in the coin, English word "crazy," it is not too serious word actually. and many of non-Koreans often use this word in real life.
It was quite shocking at first when I heard the word from non-Koreans. 나보고 미쳤다고?

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:11 pm

Like your episode, Koreans usually use the many expressions related with "kill" and"die" even when they have the great moments
such as " I am dying to be happy"(좋아죽겠다) or "I am dying to laugh" (웃겨죽겠다)
Do you know the reason why those expressions related with "kill" and"die" are common?

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Yes, it's a real story that I have scooped from the Internet. When we are facing this kind of reality in person, it is sad. All we have to do is learning good lessons from others!!
Well, I think that dying related expression is common both in Korean and English.
Maybe it's a human nature to express our feelings dramatically, saying like "미치고 환장하겠네!!!!" when we are really messed up with something bad and don't know what to do. Maybe it's just a word, doesn't mean anything. We are just expressing our feelings at the moment, not our logical thinking.^^