Oh, My God!

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their third ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/21 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Seona

Oh, My God!

Post by ICC Seona » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:21 am

I would like to talk about exclamation. Some exclamations, such as Oh, Ah, Wow, Phew, Hmm and so on, are pretty similar between Korean and English. But some of them, such as Oh my gosh, Oh my god, Jesus (Christ), Holy shit, Holy cow, are totally different. Most English-speaking countries had deep Catholic and Protestant roots. So God’s name is mentioned in exclamation. In the moments of danger, most Koreans pass their lips “Mother!”. Does Korean rely on their parents than god?

Lee Miyoung

Re: Oh, My God!

Post by Lee Miyoung » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:30 am

Your post is really interesting. for me when I am suprised, I alway say "엄마야" tons of time. But I have never tried to say "아빠야" in my whole life. It means I tend to rely on my mother instead of father? That's really funny.^^

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:04 am

I think Korean have some religions: The Catholic Church, Christianity, and Buddhism and so on. On of the religions, Buddhism is more familiar with Korean people. I think the existence of God and the word God is unfamiliar to Korean people. So, I think it is not just about relation of god and parents in dichotomy but just about the “GOD” itself I think.
^-----------------------------------------^ What do you think about it ~?

ICC leeyunseo

Post by ICC leeyunseo » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:10 pm

It is very interesting. I never thought about that before. Though your post I can learn one more. I also uaually say "엄마야" ㅋㅋ

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:42 pm

I think that Western peole are more independent of their parents than Koreans. I quess it's the part of the reasons why there is no "엄마야"

ICC leeyunseo

Post by ICC leeyunseo » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 pm

Clara's guess makes sense I think.. I am not still independent from my mom in my mind who alrealy passed away about 4 years ago.

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Wow, I am impressed by your post!!^^~~~ I think you indeed hit the bull's eye.^^ Camparing Korean mother-related way of exclamation with God-realated exclamation was really fantastic!!