English, the planet's language

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fourth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/28 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Grace

English, the planet's language

Post by ICC Grace » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:53 pm

I was so surprised by the article that non-native English-speakers now outnumber native ones 3 to 1. That means three-fourths of global people are learning and using English as their second language. More surprisingly, their English is not the Queen’s English any more but quite a different version of local English. Many expanding-circle countries have adopted it and laced with new indigenous words. For example, when Xhosa speak English, they have their own Xhosa accent and a Xhosa attitude. It shows that English is becoming localized. It is creating new identities and making everyone bilingual. But when it comes to a part saying that some immature pregnant women speak English to their fetuses, it was pretty much hard to understand. Even 2-year-old have a class of their own??? Wow!! Do they really have to do that?? But I have no doubt that English-globalization is on the way. Also English-teaching means money. The demand for native English-speakers is so huge that you can see the ads like ‘BUSINESS FOR BEGINNERS, LEARN ENGLISH IN JUST 10 WEEKS!’ when you are walking down London’s busy Oxford Street where are packed with eager twentysomethings from all around the world. As for me, English is means of living.^^

Clara Park

Re: English, the planet's language

Post by Clara Park » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:45 pm

I don't agree that a 2 year infant has the English class. It 's too harsh....
After the native language is learned, it's ready for another language.That's my opinion.

Lee Miyoung

Post by Lee Miyoung » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Many educators say that younger children can better learn the words and structures of another language. Yes.. It can be truth. But the fitst thing they must learn well is our own languge.

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:19 pm

Yes, first language comes first!!! If they learn two languages at the same time, it will be very confusing for them. ^^~~~~~

ICC_yuri

Post by ICC_yuri » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:50 am

I hope Enlgish learners learn language and its culture at the same time.

star71u

Post by star71u » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:19 pm

This title ' the Planet's Language' is very interesting expression. Yes, It is proper title. But sometimes I feel so gloomy whenever meet childern who hate it very much cause of failing to learn it or being tired a lot.