Influence of English

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fourth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/28 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

SO-YOUNG

Influence of English

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:04 am

1. What are the statistics of English usage in the world today?
Today, non-native speakers of English now outnumber native speakers 3 to 1. According to English-language expert David Crystal, whose numerous books include “English as a Global Language.”

2. Do these numbers surprise you?
Yes, absolutely I was surprise about the numbers. In this article, there is a sentence following: According to a recent report from the British Council, within a decade, 2 billion people will be studying English and about half the world — some 3 billion people — will speak it. 3 billion people? It is so huge number.

3. Which countries were mentioned in this article? Why?
The most notable thing is the phrase, China’s English fever. It - elevated to epidemic proportions by the country’s recent accession to the World Trade Organization and the coming 2008 Olympics — even has its own Mandarin term, Yingwen re. And in the other paragraph, writer said about china: last year primary schools in major Chinese cities began offering English in the third grade, rather than middle school. Some changes are very noticeable in China. So, I think writers mentioned in this article to show us example.

Application
1. After reading this article, how do you feel about the English becoming the common linguistics
denominator?
Firstly, when I was elementary school student, I really want that Korean language become a world language. If it comes true, I just speak Korean wherever I go. But I still want that dream to this day.
At this point of time, what the English becoming the common linguistics denominator is not bad because, I think it is easy to communicate with foreign people more broadly. I mean, as many countries and races use one language, we don’t have any worries about conversation with non-native of English. We just study one foreign language. But I wonder about one thing. As time goes by influence of China is getting increased, especially on the economy. Is it impossible that Chinese become a world language?

SO-YOUNG

Re: Influence of English

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:07 am

I just answered about each questions. So, my opinion is too long. Is it okay? ㅜㅜ

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:37 pm

In my opinion, It takes much longer time to globalize Chinese than English.
Chinese is considered very difficult to learn compared with English.
I think English has many advantages of the wide spread for its own characteristics. Many countries were the colony of Britain and they were familiar with English.
And English is somewhat an easy language.
Even though China has the powerful economic power in the future, many other factoers may be concerned with the globalization of the language.
Do you agree or not? *^.~*

Lee Miyoung

Post by Lee Miyoung » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:18 pm

It makes me sick even to think of it. Learning Engish is enough.

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:31 pm

I think Chinese can't be a qualified universal language. I mean who wants to learn that language except those who want some business with Chinese people. All that complicated letters and strange pronunciations!!! English is one language that appeals to almost everyone. It has awesome power to draw people's attention!

ICC leeyunseo

Post by ICC leeyunseo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Nobody knows exactly what happens in the future. We can just predict reflecting current situation. The proverb is recalled ' Every man with thirst must labor in his own well digging.'

SO-YOUNG

Post by SO-YOUNG » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:12 am

everyone! thank you for replying! wow! your opinions helpful to me! ^_^