English: A powerful Spur to Globalization

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fourth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 10/28 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

Clara Park

English: A powerful Spur to Globalization

Post by Clara Park » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:06 pm

It feels like a miracle that 2 billion will be studying English, within 10 years and half the world -some 3 billion —will speak it. It’s amazing beyond description! My mouth fails me. Never did I dream the huge English-speaking country without boundary. To demonstrate not only the global spread, but also different local varieties of English, the writer mentioned many countries-China, India, Venezuela, Pakistan, South Arica, Malaysia, Germany, Korea, Japan, etc. Also, she exemplified the money-making countries from English Industry such as Britain and America. The idea that the English becomes the common language of the world is fantastic. For my honeymoon in 2002, I visited Paris and spoke English everywhere. However, Parisians-sales clerk or shop assistants, very proud of French, didn’t speak English wherever I went even though they understood my English questions: They answered in French, using body language. I felt so stuffy and experienced some difficulties and inconveniences there. Sometimes, miscommunications happened because of a language barrier.
Last edited by Clara Park on Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lee Miyoung

Re: English: A powerful Spur to Globalization

Post by Lee Miyoung » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:24 pm

When I traved in France I felt the same way just ike you. But On the other hand, I was filled with envy of their great pride.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:02 pm

To MI young,
At that time while I was staying in Paris, I was so curious where their pride came from. Do you know it? I also envy that.

ICC leeyunseo

Post by ICC leeyunseo » Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:15 pm

I also think we have to pride of our launguge. Frenches do not care about the persons who don't understand French lanuage and feel stuffy. I would like to say they are selfish rather than are proud.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 am

I was worried about the dominant language: Englsih can kill other langusges too.
As you read in the article, Even two or three year olds learn English in China before they don't master their native tougue.
Even though I don't talk about the adverse effect of English as the world language because already, my paragrqph is over 150 words, I absolutely agree with the opinion of MI Young: The spread of English can have negative effect on the ecology of languages.
Do you want that the whole world can communicate with each other in English. I want that too.
But, I really want that other languages can survive at the same time.

ICC_yuri

Post by ICC_yuri » Mon Dec 26, 2011 3:32 am

I deeply agree with your idea "I really want that other languages can survive at the same time." In order to this is happened, what should we do? which country's language has possibility to become a national language like English? I hope learning Enlgish is not all for kidz goal they need to be awared of their national language enoughly and then they need to develop their second language.