General Sence of Global English

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fifth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 11/11 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

Lee Miyoung

General Sence of Global English

Post by Lee Miyoung » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:31 pm

It is essential for English learner to know what’s going on in English language in around the world. The simple reason is, that English has not single variety. It’s a conglomeration of different variety dialect. There is a British English, there is an American English and there is an Australian English and so on. So there is a different vocabulary, different grammar and different pronunciation. This is a biggest problem for any language leaner and any language teacher. So I don’t think that we should choose certain country’s English. We can meet diverse people who can speak English and have distinct backgroud from different countries and meet diverse cultures from TV and the internet. Many students can be aware these variations exist. We just let students see the world through many different eyes(plus,cultural things) and try to make them understand about “general sense of global English.”

ICC Grace

Re: General Sence of Global English

Post by ICC Grace » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:17 pm

I like your word 'general sense of global language'. You are right!! We all know that there exists various versions of English all over the world. All we have to do is to let people see English with their own cultural eyes!!

Lee Miyoung

Post by Lee Miyoung » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:48 am

It is not mine. I quoted the people whose name in David Crystal.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:28 pm

After reading your article, I don't know exactly ' general sense of globla English'. What do you mean by the phrase ?
It means that there are many variations of English in the world? Let me know it clearly.
General sense of globla English sounds a little ambiguous.