Standard Vs Individual

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fifth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 11/11 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

Clara Park

Standard Vs Individual

Post by Clara Park » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:36 am

The purpose of teaching English is to communicate each other beyond the national and geographical boundaries. However, English permeated with cultural features of many countries, sometimes becomes an obstacle for communication. So, we need to teach the cultures in which English is used. If the whole world use English, we should teach the world cultures, too. But, do you imagine how many Englishes and cultures coexist in this world? Here, there is the need for the standard English. Until now, almost all Korean textbooks and many countries are following the American English as the standard form because of its leading power in the international world. Now, we teach American English but we can't predict the future: Our Konglish can be the standard English if this country plays the prominent role in the world. In my opinion, the most widely spoken variation of English should take the place. In conclusion, we should not only teach the standard English, but also we should expose our students to varieties of English in the world, remembering the goal of language course-communicative competence with English speakers.

ICC Seona

Re: Standard Vs Individual

Post by ICC Seona » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:46 am

I totally agree your opinion. We should teach the standard English and We should expose varities of English. I think the best important thing is teching proportion. For example, the proportion of standard to individual English is eight to two.

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:20 pm

I think you are right!! Since communicative competence is CLT's goal, I think we cannot avoid teaching both standard English and localized English in class.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:23 am

The ration eight to 2 which Seona mentioned is very interestiing. I have nerver thought about the proportion. Actually, when we teach standard English, I think, American English, nationalized forms such as Chinese or Japanese,especially pronunciation, will become a special spice. It can cause humor and laughter in the class. *^.~*