From Standard English to varieties of English

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their fifth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 11/11 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Seona

From Standard English to varieties of English

Post by ICC Seona » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:52 am

Teaching English gives students skills for real communication than gives them information or knowledge. As we learned, language and culture are interrelated, and cultural values are embedded in language. So when we teach any kinds of language, we should explain cultural background, too. Kachru has suggested that we think of the spread of English around the world as three concentric circles. From using point of view, these are divided using primary language, secondary language, and foreign language. “BIG C” culture is changeable but “small c” culture cannot easily change. Language is similar. People use different varieties of English all around the world, but the underlying structure remains the same. The vocabulary or pragmatics can change. I think we learn something, we must learn standard form first. Even though language transforms as time goes by. So we should teach English whose counties of inner circle: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.
In line with thinking, we should be learned English whose counties of inner circle: USA, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Ireland.

ICC Grace

Re: From Standard English to varieties of English

Post by ICC Grace » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Yes, I also think that no matter how many varieties of English are existing around the world, the underlying structure remains the same. Only the vocabs and pragmatics are different one another. Isn't it interesting? Queen's English and many dialects of English~~~~~^^.

SO-YOUNG

Re: From Standard English to varieties of English

Post by SO-YOUNG » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:03 am

I agree with your opinion that we should be learned English whose counties of inner circle. but I have a questions. so you mean, you accept queen's english too??^^