Interesting Card Game.

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their sixth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 11/18 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Grace

Interesting Card Game.

Post by ICC Grace »

Yesterday, we played very interesting and a bit shocking card game activity. It was called Barnga card game. Everything started with the same routine. Teacher divided our class into two small groups. He passed out instruction paper. He explained the game rules. After playing a couple of games, we switched our team with others. And then strange thing happened. Each team had totally different rules and we couldn’t understand each other. Some of them got so frustrated and tried to explain their own rules to opponents with silent language. As soon as I realized that we had opposite rules, I decided to play along with them just to win the game.^^ I think I adapted myself to a new situation. When we experience cultural shock in a different country, it would be just like this. Chaos!! We experienced set of negative feelings of frustration, suspicion, and irritation. This Barnga game showed us which way we should choose with cultural shock: “Shall we accept, reject or modify it?”

Lee Miyoung

Re: Interesting Card Game.

Post by Lee Miyoung »

It was a really interesting activity and I learned several things from this. ^^ but I was wondering how you felt at that moment when we persistently claimed our rule is right.

ICC Grace

Post by ICC Grace »

Speechless!!!! I thought Clara was too demanding~~~~^^. At first, I could never realize that we had different rules. Seona and I were so confused and couldn't understand why she took our winning cards~~~ ㄸ띵~~!. Only if this kind of thing happened in reality, I would probably act quite differently. I could be more demanding than Clara did, and probably more aggressive.~~^^ I think Clara understood the underlying rules more than any of us. In my humble opinion, her reaction came from the fact that "Hey, I know what kind of game this is. And I want to observe how you guys react to this odd game rules~~~~!" Right??~~~^^

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park »

But I thnk you adapted yourself to the new rules. You are an epitome of cultural adaptation.
I guess that your behavior in foreign countries are very appropriate for their standard. *^.~*

ICC Seona

Post by ICC Seona »

Your idea was a stroke of genius. When I gave up the game, you tried to think how we won the game. At that time I felt great, because I expect to win the game. But everything was faking. haha