Barnga: A Metaphor of Culture Shock

This is where Jason's ICC students can submit their sixth ODB assignments. (Deadline: 11/18 11:59pm)

Moderator: Soon Mi

Clara Park

Barnga: A Metaphor of Culture Shock

Post by Clara Park » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:10 am

Barnga, the 5 Tricks card game looks like a metaphor of culture shock or cultural adaptation, based on the article I had read. At first round, I enjoyed the game as usual, receiving the new rules of game as the absolute and reasonable ones. That is the first stage of the cultural adaptation, Honeymoon, at which People get excited about new culture and environment. However, at the second round of the game, I faced the opposing team with different rules, which I didn’t expect until I have the second disagreement. At that moment, I thought that Grace and Seona were smart enough to understand the basic rules Jason had explained. So, I realized the intention of Jason and whispered to the observer; “Do we have the different rules?” After that, I was very curious about how our opponents behaved because the culture shock sometimes can be major frustrations in reality. So, I decided to be a cruel dictator, persisting in my own rules and ignoring their emotions. Surprisingly, they were so amicable that they accepted my rules or my dictatorship.

Clara Park

Re: Barnga: A Metaphor of Culture Shock

Post by Clara Park » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:00 am

I really want to ask you guys.
Have you ever felt the culture shock or something that you hate or detest and can't receive in other conutries?
Please let me share your experiene.
In my case, last year, I saw the parade in the festival in the U.S.
I forgot the name of the festival but so many men were naked. *^.~*

ICC Seona

Post by ICC Seona » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:48 am

I’ll tell you something that’s very embarrassing. I traveled to Japan with my whole family. I and uncles really like to drink soju, so we carry the soju into two plastic water bottles. We thought nobody knows the truth, and we smiled. But a restaurant sever, who works at the hotel restaurant, got wind of what is going on. Because we filled a cup with soju each other, in addition, I hold the cup with both hands. She might be known our strange behavior.

Clara Park

Post by Clara Park » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:41 am

Ha,ha,ha.. Interesting story!!
I think the waiter not you had kind of culture shock.
Last year, at the Hotel in Las Vegas, some of my friends took the fruit and the bread and put them in their bags in the Hotel Buffet becuase there are too much food for only breakfast.
Their behavior originated from Korean tradition that we give away the left over to the partiipants in the event such as funeral ceremonies and marraige.
However, the waiters seemed to understand it. Otherwise, they would not have smiled. Or were they to generous? *^.~*