After 5 months of ICC learning

This is where Jason's ICC students should post their final paragraph if they choose option B instead of the original final project.

Moderator: Soon Mi

ICC Grace

After 5 months of ICC learning

Post by ICC Grace » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:44 pm

As I go through these DMIS quiz, I kind of knew that my adaptation to to other culture will get a good score. Today, I marked down and analyzed my stage of growth, and then I found out that I won the perfect scores in each Ethnorelative stage. After five months of ICC class, I made small changes in each stage adding one more acceptance, adaptation, and integration to the score. As Jason mentioned before, surprisingly, I was a citizen of the world! The reason why I made such changes into my intercultural sensitivity quiz may be, I guess, because of 5 months' exposing myself to the cultural issues such as small C, big C, understanding the cultural dimension of language and the interview with our Chinese American girl with two sets of eyes. She was an American with Chinese heritage. With her Chinese side, she could easily adapt into the Korean cultures. On the other hand, her American side gave her hard time to be accepted in the Korean cultures as well. As she said, “A Korean woman in an American body!” When she mentioned about two identities that she had, I was surprised to hear that. It was kind of refreshing jolt to meet such a girl in Korea, for I always thought myself as a woman with two sets of eyes too. Then I realized that I could become a global person who can see the world with two different views. One as a Korean woman, the other as a person who likes English language so much and use English as a good tool to understand the world. Through participating in all the tasks, it was a valuable time for me to reflect myself onto every moment either in the classroom or beyond the classroom. I never realized the importance of interactive relationship between English teaching and knowing the culture. As an English teacher, I always stressed on achieving the good score of grammar, enhancing reading comprehension skills, and instilling lots of new vocabularies to the students. This ICC class gave me new ideas of teaching English by letting students know the importance of culture to learn the authentic English. Also I have learned that the value of understanding other cultures and adapting them to one’s self become more and more important in this global world.

Clara Park

Re: After 5 months of ICC learning

Post by Clara Park » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 am

I think all of us changed a lot when it comes to teacing cultures as a citizen of the world. As for me, this ICC class was a unforgettable and valuable experience. To be a great language teacher takes a lot of time and effort because we need to know the cultures and teach them in order not to make 'fluent fools'.

ICC Grace

Re: After 5 months of ICC learning

Post by ICC Grace » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:30 pm

I can't agree with you more! I have learned a lot not just from professors but also from my peers. TESOL couses made the huge impact on me. I am so grateful for that!!