NONE OF YOU ARE HELPING ME!!! QUICK HELP ASAP!!!

Discuss any English grammar item not covered in one of the other forums: prepositions, articles, pronouns, etc.

Moderator: Soon Mi

Jodie

NONE OF YOU ARE HELPING ME!!! QUICK HELP ASAP!!!

Post by Jodie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:54 am

Is it "Says the girl whose had a hard life" or is it "Says the girl who's had a hard life? Which who's/whose do I use?

And. . .

"whose got MySpace" or "who's got myspace" which who's/whose do I use?

I need some one to answer this for me!

Jason M. Ham

Post by Jason M. Ham » Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:09 pm

In answer to your first question, the second example is the correct one:
...says the girl who's had a hard life...
Who's is a contraction for who has in that example.
In answer to your second question, the same rule applies:
Who's got MySpace?
This sentence is correct.
I hope this helps. By the way, why so urgent?

Jodie

Post by Jodie » Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:25 am

I don't know if you're 100% sure though. Please buddy, I just have to know for sure. . . I just do! :(

Who's contraction is also "who is" aswell. How do I know if you're completlely right? show me some proof! are you sure they're both "who's" and not "whose"? for some reason my conscience has many doubts! :(

HELP!!!

Jason M. Ham

Hey Buddy

Post by Jason M. Ham » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:42 am

Who's is a contraction for both who is and who has, and I'm sure that in both of your example sentences you mean to say who has. Whose is exclusively used to express possessives. For example:
The girl whose life was hard killed herself.
If you need more proof look it up yourself, buddy. I'm a native speaker and I stake my reputation on it.

Jodie

Post by Jodie » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:51 am

Thank you so much for your help. I actually did know all that, but I just get confused sometimes and need second opinions, because I see so many people making a mistake on these questions I just asked you--which annoys me, because it makes me feel like I'm wrong, when actually they are! So thanks for making this clear to me now.

Anyway, how's my grammar going? Have I made any mistakes in my sentences here? :)

Jason M. Ham

Excellent

Post by Jason M. Ham » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:17 pm

Jodie,
You've got quite a command of the language and your fluency is outstanding. I didn't notice any grammar mistakes in your latest reply (aside from a bit of a run-on sentence); however I didn't comb over it like it was an academic paper either. I think you're really fluent and could really help others learn as well. Is English your first or second language? Where are you from? Would you like to assist me in replying to some of the users of this site from time to time? You seem reliable, determined, and you follow through on things thoroughly.

Jodie

Post by Jodie » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:15 am

Aww, thanks. You put a smile to my face.

I don't think I would be much use helping others though, as I have trouble with some Grammar myself.

English is my first language, and I'm from Australia.

Umm your last question, I'm not to sure what you really mean, lol? "Would you like to assist me in replying to some of the users of this site from time to time?"

I'm sure you'd do everything on this board a lot better than myself. I have more Grammar questions. . .

I know "it's" contraction is "it is" or "it has", but I sometimes get confused. Are these it's/its used in these sentences correct?

"Sometimes its illness that causes us to commit crimes and other sins we cannot always control."

"I'd figure you of all people would know that its satAN"

Are they both right? please help!? And it also means possession, aswell, doesn't it? :wink:

BTW, you seem pretty cool to talk with. Do you have MSN, I could chat with you on?

Jodie

Post by Jodie » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:11 am

Aww, I really hope you have e-mail. I'd like to talk to you more!

Return to “Prepositions, articles, pronouns, etc.”