There is / there are (part 2)

Discuss noun clauses, adjective clauses, & adverb clauses. See how and when nouns, adjectives, & adverbs are used.

Moderator: Soon Mi

James Trotta
Site Admin

There is / there are (part 2)

Post by James Trotta » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:50 pm

Let's practice describing this painting. I suggest doing there is / there are first: http://eslgo.com/classes/beginner/bedroom.php
Ralph van Gogh.jpg
Ralph van Gogh.jpg (325.52 KiB) Viewed 438 times
Ralph Van Gogh is from http://combustus.com/illustrator-nicole-rubel/ and the painting was inspired by Vincents Bedroom at Arles. Please reply here with your description of the painting and I will try to help you with any grammar mistakes. You can also practice by describing the original Vincent van Gogh at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12732

Ram

Re: There is / there are (part 2)

Post by Ram » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 am

This lesson was easy for me, thanks

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:11 pm

Can you post your description of the painting please?
Ram wrote:This lesson was easy for me, thanks

Aziz

Post by Aziz » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:23 am

In this picture has described a cat and his bedroom. There are 6 pictures on the wall were hanged and this bedroom has one window. Furthermore, there are two chairs and one table. One of the chair is standing near to a door and second one is near to a bed. On the other hand there is flower in the vase which decorates cat`s bedroom.

TanyaJiang

Post by TanyaJiang » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:40 am

In this room, there are six pictures hanging in the wall. One of them there is the biggest have six peaces, it is discrimination the night sky (I guess). There is one bed with the lazy cat sleeping on it, there are two chairs with one table. On the table there is a vessel of flowers.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:19 am

Good work Aziz. Let me try to help you a bit. Since there is only one door and one bed we use the instead of a. Notice that one of the chairs gets plural -s.
Aziz wrote:In this picture has described a cat and his bedroom. There are 6 pictures on the wall were hanged and this bedroom has one window. Furthermore, there are two chairs and one table. One of the chair is standing near to a door and second one is near to a bed. On the other hand there is flower in the vase which decorates cat`s bedroom.
This is a painting of a cat in his bedroom. There are six pictures hanging on the wall and this bedroom has one window. Furthermore, there are two chairs and one table. One of the chairs is near the door and the second one is near the bed. There is a flower in the vase, which is a decoration in the cat's bedroom.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:22 am

Good use of there are in this one. I'll put a few corrections below.
TanyaJiang wrote:In this room, there are six pictures hanging in the wall. One of them there is the biggest have six peaces, it is discrimination the night sky (I guess). There is one bed with the lazy cat sleeping on it, there are two chairs with one table. On the table there is a vessel of flowers.
In this room, there are six pictures hanging on the wall. The biggest one has six pieces. It is a picture of the night sky (I guess). There is one bed with the lazy cat sleeping on it. There are two chairs with one table. On the table there is a vase full of flowers.

Ram

Post by Ram » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:16 am

Ram wrote:This lesson was easy for me, thanks
In this picture I've watched a bedroom, where there is a red sheet on the bed, there are two pillows next to the bed there is a wall with four pictures. There is a mirror near of table or sink im not sure becouse near there is a big towel, in that room there is a window between the mirror and the picture, there are two chairs can I see something behind of the bed with clothes and that is all thanks

Pimen

Post by Pimen » Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:55 pm

There is one bed in the bedroom and the cat is sleeping on it.
There are six paints hanging in the wall. Also there is one vasel with yellow flowers.
There are two chairs in different places one near the window and the other one near the door.
There is one open window where you can see the night.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:52 pm

Thanks Ram!
Ram wrote:In this picture I've watched a bedroom, where there is a red sheet on the bed, there are two pillows next to the bed there is a wall with four pictures. There is a mirror near of table or sink im not sure becouse near there is a big towel, in that room there is a window between the mirror and the picture, there are two chairs can I see something behind of the bed with clothes and that is all thanks
In this picture I see a bedroom. There there is a red sheet on the bed. There are two pillows on the bed. Next to the bed there is a wall with four pictures. There is a mirror near the table or sink (I'm not sure because there is a big towel nearby. In that room there is a window between the mirror and the picture. There are two chairs. I can see something behind the bed with clothes and that is all.

Note how in the first sentence we use present simple or past simple (see or saw) instead of the present perfect I've watched.

James Trotta
Site Admin

Post by James Trotta » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:56 pm

Hey Pimen. Good job on this one!
Pimen wrote:There is one bed in the bedroom and the cat is sleeping on it.
There are six paints hanging in the wall. Also there is one vasel with yellow flowers.
There are two chairs in different places one near the window and the other one near the door.
There is one open window where you can see the night.
There is one bed in the bedroom and the cat is sleeping on it. There are six paintings hanging on the wall. Also there is one vase with yellow flowers. There are two chairs in different places, one near the window and the other one near the door. There is one open window where you can see the night sky.

Hannylove

Post by Hannylove » Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:12 pm

There are two chairs in the house. There is a reading desk. There are two doors. There is a flower on the table. There are four pictures frames on the wall. There is a cat on the bed. There are other paints on the wall.

Dalinda17

Post by Dalinda17 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:37 am

there in picture example is a bed two chairs six picture a window the cat in the bed a rag on the floor